[artinfo] Open Call paraflows .XI EXHIBITION

e-artnow info at e-artnow.org
Mon Feb 8 14:29:46 CET 2016

Open Call paraflows .XI EXHIBITION

paraflows .XI - IDENTITY

Who are we? What are the traits that define us?
There are several biological - and therefore
hereditary - physical features that represent an
identity. Sex, hair and eye color, body height,
fingerprints, Š characteristics which are hard to
change by ourselves. The medial, social, and
constructed forms of identity on the other hand
are fairly easy to manipulate. How much identity
or how many identities do we need, and what do we
need them for? Where does the desire to reinvent
ourselves, to have one or several alter egos, to
control the way we are perceived from outside
come from? What is the difference between a
persona and an avatar? Is it a desire of all
humans to be creator and creature at the same
time?

But not just the possible ways to create an
identity are rapidly evolving; the methods to
examine and verify these identities are also
becoming more refined. Our identity is not just
checked when we travel but every time we go
shopping, when we enter public spaces, at the
doctor's, at restaurants, in social media, Š how
are we dealing with the data streams we produce?
How do we behave, how do we protect ourselves?
How are we being mapped?

What influence do migrant scenarios have on the
construction of identities? What about pen names
and fictional characters?

paraflows .XI will be looking into the components
of identity and trying to find variables to put
these components together in different ways.

DEADLINE: 31.03.2016

Pls send your application as pdf file via e-mail
to:
<mailto:office at paraflows.at>office(at)paraflows.at

or ship to:

paraflows
Museumsplatz 1
A-1070 Vienna
AUSTRIA

Mandatory information for submissions:
1) name, institution (if existing), address, e-mail, phone number, website/s
2) submitted work: title, medium, author/artist, year of production
3) work description: 1 DIN A4-page maximum
4) technical explanation, room/space requirements (hardware, operating
system, additional software)
5) CD with 1-2 high resolution, printable images
6) biographies
7) documentation of earlier projects, e.g. a link to your website

Language: all submissions have to be in English
or in German or need to have subtitles in one of
the two languages. Works in any other language
have to include a text list in either German or
English. We especially encourage international
submissions.

DEADLINE: 31.03.2016

paraflows CONTACT
<mailto:office at paraflows.at>office(at)paraflows.at
Festival management: Guenther Friesinger
Exhibition management: Judith Fegerl
paraflows
Museumsplatz 1
A-1070 Vienna