[artinfo] Kathmandu Triennale 2017

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Sat Dec 17 13:11:58 CET 2016

Kathmandu Triennale 2017

The City, My Studio / The City, My Life

March 24-April 9, 2017

<http://www.kt.artmandu.org>www.kt.artmandu.org
<https://www.facebook.com/kt2017>

The Siddhartha Arts Foundation (SAF) at Kathmandu
in Nepal announces the inaugural edition of the
Kathmandu Triennale, which will open on March 24,
2017. The Kathmandu Triennale builds on the
successes of past editions of the Kathmandu
International Art Festival in 2009 and 2012,
which were on the themes of Status of Women and
Earth | Body | Mind respectively.

The 2017 Kathmandu Triennale will be curated by
Philippe Van Cauteren, artistic director of
S.M.A.K. at Ghent in Belgium. The exhibition My
City, My Studio / My City, My Life will host more
than 50 artists from about 25 countries.

The theme of the Triennale will be a catalyst for
a contemporary reflection on the relationship
between art, the city and its heritage and is
dedicated to the people who lost their lives in
the Great Earthquakes of 2015.

Artists will be invited to create newly
commissioned works for the specific contexts of
the different exhibition venues spread around the
city of Kathmandu. In addition to the exhibition,
the Triennale will also host a series of
encounters, workshops, masterclasses and outreach
programmes. The Indian curator Veerangana Kumari
Solanki Jamwal will be responsible for an
international colloquium.

The Siddhartha Arts Foundation takes pride in
announcing that Francis Alÿs has consented to be
the Patron Artist for the inaugural edition of
the Kathmandu Triennale.