[artinfo] CFP: Big Data and Society

Birchall, Clare clare.birchall at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 22 12:33:48 CEST 2015

CFP: Big Data and Society

  Proposed Special Issue on Veillance and Transparency:

A Critical Examination of Mutual Watching in the Post-Snowden, Big Data Era

Guest Editors: Vian Bakir, Martina Feilzer, Andrew McStay (Bangor Univ.)

We invite papers for a proposed Special Issue in Big Data and
Society, Sage's inter-disciplinary, open access, peer-reviewed
scholarly journal that explores the social implications of Big Data
from social sciences, humanities and computing perspectives.

Our central proposition: today we live in a techno-cultural condition
of increased and normalised transparency through various veillant
forces of mutual watching.
Our central question: what are the technical, social, economic,
political, legal, ethical and cultural implications of this situation?

Drawing on the many academic disciplines that deal with issues of
veillance and transparency, we seek theoretical and empirical
academic papers; artistic, activist and educational provocations (the
journal can link to digital versions of these); and shorter
commentary from the wide range of actors involved in these debates
(including data regulators, intelligence and security services,
private companies, NGOs, politicians and journalists).

Specifically, we are interested in the following questions (each
unpacked further below):

1.      On Theory-Practice: How useful are theories of 'veillance' in
explaining transparency practices in the post-Snowden, 'Big Data' era?
2.      On Ethics, Values and Norms: What, if anything, can or should
we do about practices of watching that operate without informed
consent or adequate processes of accountability?
3.      On Regulation, Power, Resistance and Social Change: Are
existing mechanisms of regulation and oversight able to deal with
nation-states' desire for forced transparency, or is resistance
required from other quarters?
4.      On Representation, Discourse and Public Understanding: What
socio-cultural discourses and practices on veillance and transparency
prevail; how do they position the sur/sous/veillant subject; and are
they adequate to the task of educating and engaging people on
abstract and secretive surveillance practices, as well as on the
possibilities and pitfalls of sousveillance?

More details on the Call are here.

Submission Details
Proposals of no more than 1000 words are invited for consideration
and inclusion in this proposed Special Issue of Big Data & Society
(BD&S). All papers should foreground why Big Data practices are
important to their central argument, as outlined in this CfP.

Proposals should be sent to the Guest Editors: v.bakir at bangor.ac.uk,
mcstay at bangor.ac.uk, m.feilzer at bangor.ac.uk

Manuscript and Style Guidelines
As this is an online only journal, there are fewer restrictions on
format, including the use of visualizations (which are encouraged,
where this helps the explanation).  Full guidelines are below:
http://www.uk.sagepub.com/msg/bds.htm#Prep

Final Manuscripts should be 8,000 words for an Original Research
Article, 3,000 words for a Commentary, and 1,000 words for an essay
in the Early Career Research Forum section.

Peer review
All submissions of Original Research Articles to BD&S are
double-blind, and triple peer-reviewed.
Anonymous peer review feedback will be accompanied by comments from
the guest editors that draw on the central arguments of other papers
selected for inclusion in order to enhance the coherence of the
proposed Special Issue.
Commentaries, Early Career Research Forum submissions, and artistic,
activist and educational provocations are reviewed by the Guest
Editors.

Deadline for academic papers (original research articles and early
career research forum essays)
*       Proposal Deadline: 15 Oct 2015
*       Notification of Acceptance: 1 Dec 2015
*       Paper Deadline: 1 May 2016
*       Reviews Returned: 31 Jul 2016
*       Revised Paper Deadline: 1 Nov 2016

Deadlines for commentaries and artistic, activist and educational provocations:
*       Proposal Deadline:  27 May 2016
*       Notification of Acceptance: 1 Jul 2016
*       Revisions Deadline: 1 Nov 2016

Anticipated Publication date for Special Issue: Jan/Feb 2017.