[artinfo] VIVE SP38! Celebrating 20 Years of Street Art & Urban Poetry in Berlin Mitte

OPEN WALLS Gallery openwallsberlin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:45:44 CEST 2015

<http://openwallsgallery.cmail2.com/t/r-l-zykydkl-druhjdtukk-p/>Vive
SP38! Celebrating 20 years of Street Art & Urban
Poetry in Berlin Mitte

	"In one way or another my work is
strongly connected to the time it was created,
regardless if it's on a political or personal
scale. I still like 'Snow is Water', one of my
early works, a lot because it reminds me of my
first winter in Berlin, which was a really cold
and harsh one. Twenty years ago Berlin really was
a symbol for a certain kind of alternative
lifestyle, and it's a bit sad to see that the
city has developed in the very same direction as
any other major city - which automatically
implies that it lost a lot of its soul and
original spirit."

	The era when Berlin was considered to be
a city of enormous contradictions seems to be
over once and for all. It still might feel
vibrant and alive - and in comparison with other
metropolises even fresh and open-minded - but the
concrete jungle has slightly turned into a human
zoo as society grew more decadent over the years.
French artist
<http://openwallsgallery.cmail2.com/t/r-l-zykydkl-druhjdtukk-x/>SP38,
who is based in Germany's capital since twenty
years already, is an active chronicler of this
transformation as his urban poetry is commenting
on the permanent change - big and small as well
as personal and universal - since he first
started to fuse silk-printing, typography and
painting techniques and pasted the city with the
results.

	After a successful intermezzo in New
York, SP38 is returning to
<http://openwallsgallery.cmail2.com/t/r-l-zykydkl-druhjdtukk-m/>OPEN
WALLS Gallery this November with a new show
titled "Vive SP38!", which is reflecting on his
first twenty years as a Berlin resident.
Showcasing twenty different posters and just as
many photographs - including a brand-new series
particularly made for this exhibition - this
special kind of retrospective isn't only a
demonstration of his impressive skill-set, but a
reminder of the fun and sense of excitement civil
disobedience once contained.

	"The slogans I come up with are based on
literature as they are based on politics, my own
past and events of the day as well. What connects
them is that they're always related to the very
moment... and a lot of the slogans obviously fit
to Berlin. Like the 'Swim or Die' a poster I did
when Stattbad was going down - something that
sure has a universal validity for the whole city
by now. And these kinda things really happen
fast, the process isn't an elaborately deliberate
one. It's like a kind of dialogue with the city,
one that's spontaneous and driven by instinct."

OPEN WALLS Gallery
Schröderstr. 11.1
10115 Berlin