[artinfo] Conference and call for papers: "The transhistorical museum: objects, narratives & temporalities"

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Fri Oct 2 00:24:03 CEST 2015

Conference: "The transhistorical museum: objects, narratives & temporalities"

Day 1: 13 November 2015
Frans Hals Museum / De Hallen Haarlem
Haarlem
the Netherlands

Day 2: 25 February 2016
Museum M
Leuven
Belgium

<http://www.dehallen.nl/en/>www.dehallen.nl
<http://www.mleuven.be>www.mleuven.be

Info on ticketing, program and speakers will be posted to our websites soon.

Frans Hals Museum / De Hallen Haarlem (the
Netherlands) and Museum M (Leuven, Belgium) are
currently developing a research project on the
notion of "transhistoricity" (or
"cross-historicity") in curatorial practice
within the museum field. The conference "The
transhistorical museum: objects, narratives &
temporalities," is an effort to bring together
different perspectives (museological, curatorial,
theoretical) on the subject of transhistoricity,
in order to critically map this domain. It
aspires to both trace its genealogies in existing
theory and practice, and to present new ideas
with regards to questions like: Can a
transhistorical approach to exhibition making or
collection display produce relevant new insights
into the specific qualities of art objects, by
manoeuvring them into unchartered
contexts-historically, materially, and
ontologically? What can we learn from historical
artworks, when we study them through the lens of
contemporary artistic production-or vice versa?
How do we read art history forward into the
present, and use recent practice as a vantage
point from which to revise the past?

Over the course of two days (13 November 2015 in
Haarlem, and 25 February 2016 in Leuven), we will
examine the ways in which curatorial,
institutional and artistic practice relate to the
notion of transhistoricity, and discuss and
challenge museological concepts like "the
encyclopaedic museum" and "the Wunderkammer." The
two-day symposium will bring together an
international roster of theorists, art
historians, curators, and artists, from the
fields of art history and philosophy. The
symposium will present keynote lectures, case
studies, papers and panel discussions. A
publication is planned for the fall of 2016.

As Hal Foster notes, scholarly movement across
different historical fields is hardly new: for
example, even before the First World War, Wilhelm
Worringer connected German Expressionism to the
Northern Gothic tradition; between the wars,
Meyer Schapiro moved easily between abstract
painting and Romanesque sculpture; and after the
Second World War, Leo Steinberg wrote with equal
insight on 20th-century innovators like Picasso,
Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns, and Old
Masters like Michelangelo, Caravaggio and
Velázquez. This traffic, as Foster explains, is
busier than ever before, with art historians such
as Hans Belting, Horst Bredekamp and Georges
Didi-Huberman at work on various subjects from
the premodern to the postmodern.

Since the turn of this century, we have moreover
witnessed a significant expanse in the field of
transhistorical exhibition practice: a diverse
range of curatorial efforts in which objects and
artefacts from various periods and art historical
and cultural contexts are combined in display, in
order to question and expand traditional
museological notions like chronology, context,
and category. Such experiments in transcending
art historical boundaries can potentially result
in both fresh insights into the workings of our
entrenched historical presumptions, and provide a
space to reassess interpretations of individual
objects in relation to their contexts and
narratives.

We are pleased to announce a call for papers,
that will offer the opportunity to present a
paper at the second conference in Leuven, on 25
February 2016, and/or inclusion in the
publication scheduled for the fall of 2016.

Proposals may include subjects like:

-The transhistorical museum: definitions, methods, models
-Artist projects in / with collection displays
-The autonomous artwork vs the exhibition experience
-Curatorial authorship vs art historical scholarship
-The transhistorical art object: relational or withdrawn?

Final entries will be reviewed by a selection
jury, which will be announced at the first
conference day in Haarlem (13 November 2015).

Please submit your piece, anywhere from 2,000 to
6,000 words, with a maximum 250 word abstract and
full contact information by 10 January 2016, to
<mailto:papers at franshalsmuseum.nl>papers at franshalsmuseum.nl.