[artinfo] Digital storytelling workshop at Anderson Art LAB

Kiss Ágnes kissagnes at andersonartlab.hu
Wed Nov 18 18:16:21 CET 2015

Anderson Art LAB presents: Digital Storytelling Workshop with Laura Denning /GRB/

resident artist at AQB

Date: November 19, 2015. Whole Day (10am-4pm)

Location: Anderson Art LAB, 1053 Budapest, Ferenciek tere 4. in the passage

Registration: info at andersonartlab.hu, 30 494 4769
Fees: 8.000 HUF
In this session we could cover everything about digital storytelling, working together to create a mock version.

Storytelling – some notes

Storytelling is the conveying of events in words, sound and/or images, often by improvisation or embellishment. Stories or narratives have been shared in every culture as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation, and instilling moral values. Crucial elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters and narrative point of view.

Studies show that people want a more personal connection in the way they gather information. Our brains are far more engaged by storytelling than by cold, hard facts. When reading straight data, only the language parts of our brains work to decode the meaning. But when we read a story, not only do the language parts of our brains light up, but any other part of the brain that we would use if we were actually experiencing what we're reading about becomes activated as well. This means it's far easier for us to remember stories than hard facts.

 A drama is divided into five parts, or acts, which some refer to as a dramatic arc: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution.

Plan your story starting with the takeaway message. Think about what’s important to the audience. The ending is the most important point of the story. This is the message we want to deliver, and the one that will linger with the audience.

Keep your stories short. Three to five minutes long is about what people can digest.

Good stories are about challenge or conflict. Without these elements, stories aren’t very interesting. The compelling part of a story is how people deal with conflict–-so start with the people and the conflict.

·       Why are you telling the story?

·       What is the message?

·       Who is the audience?

·       Why should they listen?

·       How do you maintain interest?

·       How do people know you have a story?

·       Where will they find it?

There are thousands of digital storytelling platforms available for use on every available medium. I have chosen mostly Microsoft products – not because they are the best! – but because most of the software is already installed on every PC, so today we can focus on making stories rather than spend hours comparing software packages.

Enjoy exploring the possibilities that digital storytelling offers!

Laura Denning

Lauradenning2 at gmail.com

https://drawingwithwater.wordpress.com/

Kiss Ágnes

Anderson Arts and Education Research Lab
1053 Budapest Ferenciek tere 4 in the passage
www.andersonartlab.hu
+36 30 494 4769

https://www.facebook.com/LABanderson