[artinfo] Trust me, I'm an artist

Annick2 abureaud at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 22:31:08 CET 2015

"Trust me, I'm an Artist" investigates the new ethical issues arising
from art and science collaboration and consider the roles and
responsibilities of the artists, scientists and institutions
involved. The original project "Trust me, I'm an Artist: Towards an
Ethics of Art and Science Collaboration" comprised a series of public
events, in international settings. At each event (before a live
audience) an internationally known artist proposed an artwork to a
specially formed ethics committee (following the rules and procedures
typical for the host country), the ethics committee then debated the
proposal and cames to a decision, the artist was then informed of the
ethics committee's decision and, alongside the audience, they entered
into a discussion about the result. The proposals were selected as
they raise interesting questions for science ethics committees and
help reveal the mechanisms that drive this usually hidden process,
enabling the wider public to understand the driving forces behind
ethical decisions and the role of artists working in scientific
settings more deeply.

The project "Trust Me I'm an Artist: Towards an Ethics of Art/Science
Collaboration" was led by artist Anna Dumitriu in collaboration with
Professor Bobbie Farsides (Chair of Ethics, Brighton and Sussex
Medical School) in collaboration with Waag Society, Leiden University
and BioSolar Cells. A book about the project was published in 2014.
Follow the links above to view the events, videos and other
documentation. A new project "Trust Me, I'm an Artist: Developing
Ethical Frameworks for Artists, Cultural Institutions and Audiences
Engaged in the Challenges of Creating and Experiencing New Art Forms
in Biotechnology and Biomedicine in Europe" is supported by funding
from Creative Europe and is a collaboration between Waag Society,
Brighton and Sussex Medical School, The Arts Catalyst, Ciant,
Kapelica Gallery, Medical Museion, Capsula and Leonardo Olats. Anna
Dumitriu is lead artist and Professor Bobbie Farsides is lead
ethicist. The new project will build on and expand the reach and
meaning of earlier work.
http://www.artscienceethics.com/
For more information contact annadumitriu at hotmail.com