[artinfo] CfP: Performance & New Technologies

Maria Chatzichristodoulou M.Chatzichristodoulou at hull.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 17:09:14 CET 2015

Dear colleagues,

We now invite submission of papers and proposals for the Performance
and New Technologies Working Group at TaPRA, University of Worcester,
8th to 10th September 2015. Please don't hesitate to contact us with
any questions. We look forward to seeing you there.
:
Digital Memory and Techno-nostalgia: Remembering / Dismembering Performance

Call Deadline: 17 April 2015

The ephemeral nature of live performance has always forced
practitioners, critics and notaries to consider ways of committing
performance to memory. The act of remembering itself was first
expressed through theatrical means by Giulio Camillo and his memory
theatre - giving birth to a performative technology, a mnemo-technic
reliant on the theatrical frame. The commitment of the ephemeral act
to memory most often happens through technological means, which in
the digital era produce audio-visual traces that can appear to lend
some objectivity in the act of remembrance. If technology defines how
we remember live performance, then performances are re-membered -and
thus reconstructed- through the lens of those technologies dominant
at their times. The digital times we inhabit entail an inevitable
commitment of ephemeral acts to the im/materialities of the digital;
but how do our ever-prolific digital memories alter the ways we
remember performance? And what new technologies affect memory, either
as mnemonic, or as the means by which to adapt, extend or develop the
way we recollect and what is re-membered?

The past is a place for both recollection and re-imagination with no
same version of the past evident. Nevertheless, until recently,
records of live performances would more often be linear narratives,
canonical in viewpoint, and restricted to archival use. Digital
technologies and mobile networks allow immediate and wide access to
technologies of recording, storage and retrieval, which enable
participation in the creation of individual and shared memories, and
challenge the canonicity of performance records. For this reason,
digital encounters with the past tend to intersect recollection with
story-telling, often relating the sameevents and circumstances
through multi-voiced narratives that offer supplementary or competing
perspectives. We invite participants to reflect on emergent digital
story-telling techniques and intermedial modes of narration as
practices of performance documentation. When everyone becomes a
potential archivist of performance acts, performance documents cease
to be linear, authorial narratives; instead, they become the
micro-documents of multiple, fragmented experiences. How can we,
individually and collectively, remember, narrate and re-enact
performance through its digital detritus? How can we tap into the
richness of multiplicity afforded by 'heritage from below' practices
(Robertson, 2012) without 'dismembering' the actual performance act?

Furthermore, as digital technologies become ever more dominant in our
daily lives facilitating and complicating them in equal measure,
there is an increasing trend to look back to technologies of the past
with some nostalgia. Nostalgia, from the Greek nostoV (nostos, return
home) and algoV (algos, pain), denotes the yearning to return to an
experience of place or community that has been lost. A 'homesickness
of sorts', it suggests 'an attempt by actors in the present to return
to a comfortable and ideal setting.' (Pinch and Reinecke in
Bjisterveld and van Dijck, 2009:166) Recently, technonostalgia is
being expressed through looking back at analogue technologies as
objects and processes of desire, through 'excursions into vintage
gear' (ibid). The nostalgic return is bound by horizons of
melancholy, sentiment, menace, and emotion. We ask, what is the
affective potential of mnemonic devices- digitised photographs,
social networks, sounds, music, video, graphics, words, and somas -
and of 'excursions' into old media? What new combinations bring about
shifts in the emotional temperature of our search for times lost, and
how do those affect performance memories?

This Call invites contributors to consider how we remember both
performance and technology, as well as performance through
technology, in a digital era. Proposals might consider the following
issues, though these are not exclusive:

   *   Remembering Performance through Technology
   *   Remembering Technology in Performance
   *   Performance and Digital Memory / Re-collection
   *   Collecting Ephemeral Acts / Performance and Digital Archives
   *   Performance and Techno-nostalgia
   *   Documentation Devices and Methods Intersecting Analogue and Digital
   *   Heritage from Below and Performance Legacies
   *   The Materiality of Performance Memory
   *   Documenting Somatic Memories
   *   Dismembering /Forgetting /Erasing Performance
   *   Sound-theatres and Auditory Spaces of Memory
   *   Performance Memory and Affect

This year, the Performance and New Technologies Working Group will be
collaborating with the Performance and Documentation Working Group by
holding a joint session, due to common interests. If you believe your
paper/presentation is most appropriate for this session please state
so. Please note that final decisions will be made by working group
conveners.

Proposals
Please send a 300 word proposal, a short biographical statement, and
an outline of technical requirements by 17th April to both Maria
Chatzichristodoulou, M.Chatzi at hull.ac.uk and Jeremy Kelly,
Jem.Kelly at bucks.ac.uk

Proposals, if accepted, may be directed into a range of
presentational formats: traditional panels (with 20 minute papers);
pre-circulated papers that form the basis for a short presentation
and discussion; or, where appropriate, performance-based panels.
While we welcome statements of preference, final decisions will be
made by the working group convenors and will be indicated at the time
of acceptance. We welcome alternative, practice-as-research or
performative proposals that engage rigorously with the theme, but
these must be achievable with limited resources and within a 20-30
minute time period.

The Working Group also warmly welcomes participants who do not wish
to present a paper this year.

The convenors of the Performance and New Technologies Working Group
are Maria Chatzichristodoulou, Jeremy Kelly and Martin Blain.

Please note: Only one proposal may be submitted for the TaPRA 2015
Conference. It is not permitted to submit multiple proposals or
submit the same proposal to several Calls for Papers. All presenters
must be TaPRA members, i.e. registered for the conference; this
includes presentations given by Skype or other media broadcast even
where the presenter may not physically attend the conference venue.
If your paper has been accepted, yet you have not registered for the
Conference by the final registration deadline of 14 August 2015, we
will deem you no longer intend to participate and present at TaPRA
2015.

  --

Dr Maria Chatzichristodoulou

Lecturer in Performance and New Media
Programme Leader MA by Research & PhD in Theatre and Performance
Disability, Equality and Diversity Tutor
School of Drama, Music and Screen
University of Hull

Room: Loten L104
Cottingham Road