[artinfo] Hommage à Malevich - Black Square Continued

City Art Gallery Ljubljana mestna.galerija at mgml.si
Wed Jun 24 17:57:00 CEST 2015

Invitation to the opening.

Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana
City Art Gallery Ljubljana

Hommage à Malevich
Black Square Continued, group exhibition

2. 7. - 6. 9. 2015

You are cordially invited to attend the
opening of the exhibition on Thursday, 2 July, at
8 pm at the Mestna galerija Ljubljana.

Curated by Mateja Podlesnik

Goran Dordeviç, Bojan Gorenec, Igor Grubiç,
I”tvan I”t Huzjan, Irwin, Du”a Jesih, Kazimir
Maleviã, Vlado Martek, Radenko Milak, Vladimir
Nikoliç, Dimitry Orlac, Tanja Ostojiç, Mladen
Stilinoviç, Dragoljub Ra”a Todosijeviç

Modernism's iconic image, Black Square, Tretyakov
Gallery, Moscow: a painting by the Polish-Russian
artist Kazimir Malevich, first exhibited at The
Last Futurist Exhibition 0.10 in Petrograd in
1915, described as the most radical work of
twentieth-century art, or the first absolute
painting, zero painting, the empty painting, has
always been - perhaps precisely thanks to its
"mythical" status - an object of scrutiny by
countless art historians, theoreticians, and
scholars. We could also call it the number one
abstract painting, spearheading twentieth-century
art right next to Duchamp's readymades, crucially
impacting not only the geometric abstraction of
classic modernism, but also Constructivism,
Minimalism, neo-geo, and postmodern movements.
The two-dimensional monochrome represents a
turning point in art, or more specifically,
painterly representation of the world, no longer
rendering the world in a realist, figurative
depiction in accordance with the traditional
concepts of art, but rather transforming our view
and our vision of the world. A black square on a
white background, with "nothing" in it,
constituting, in Malevich's belief, a vision of
pure material infinity and the non-objectivity of
the world, becomes a window, beckoning to us to
lean through it and transcend the level of
illusions, to view the world without
intermediary, just via the relation between paint
and canvas in their primary material presence.

On the occasion of the centenary of this key
Suprematist object of early twentieth-century
historical avant-garde art, numerous art
institutions across the globe are paying tribute
to it. We have decided to stage a themed group
exhibition presenting a selection of artists from
the territories of our former common country of
Yugoslavia who continue in the vein of Malevich's
iconographic narrative, ranging from the
protagonists of the so-called Suprematist Wave
(young-generation painters with avant-garde
tendencies in the late 1970s and the 1980s in
Belgrade, Zagreb, and Ljubljana), including also
their later works, which have not hitherto been
seen in Slovenia, to promising young or already
well-established artists working in European
cultural centers, whose artistic strategies and
aspirations highlighting either the social or
aesthetic impact of Malevich's art have also
contributed to his revival.

<http://mgml.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=71a3c26fbe5d5f49e70d7c636&id=dc1280ceca&e=f100261548>Read
more about the exhibition and accompanying events

<http://mgml.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=71a3c26fbe5d5f49e70d7c636&id=8bacf713a2&e=f100261548>www.mgml.si/mestna-galerija-ljubljana