[artinfo] Art collabration with the Bank of England - central banking through conceptual art

Martin John Callanan (news) news at greyisgood.eu
Thu Jul 16 23:49:45 CEST 2015

With 5 days to go for the public to nominate a
visual artist to feature on the next £20 bank
note, the Bank is pleased to deepen its
collaboration with visual arts through the
arrival of artist Martin John Callanan, who will
be working at the Bank over the next twelve
months on a series of conceptual art projects.
 Mr Callanan's work - which will be generously
funded by the Leverhulme Trust and University
College London - will reflect aspects of central
banking, economics, finance and data.

Mr. Callanan - a Teaching Fellow at UCL's Slade
School of Fine Art and current holder of the
Philip Leverhulme Prize in Visual and Performing
Art - researches and creates artwork to better
understand how societies and individuals interact
with technological, political, economic,
environmental and other systems. His work,
exhibited and published internationally,
expresses complex ideas relating to these systems
in tangible, accessible ways.

Working with the Bank of England will provide Mr.
Callanan a unique opportunity to expand his
research into financial services and economics,
and to collaborate with economists,
mathematicians and computer scientists at the
Bank and beyond.

Through the exhibition of these finished
artworks, this collaboration will also provide
the Bank with a unique opportunity - to raise
awareness and broaden public understanding of our
mission to promote the good of the people of the
United Kingdom by maintaining monetary and
financial stability.

The Bank renewed its mission as part of the
launch of its Strategic Plan in March 2014. Core
priorities as part of this Plan included: opening
up the Bank's research and analytical work to
external contributions - and its data sets to the
public - in order to benefit from external points
of view; partnering with outside academic
researchers to develop advanced data and research
capabilities; encouraging diversity in all forms,
including promoting and encouraging diversity of
thinking and experience; and building public
understanding of the Bank's responsibilities for
maintaining monetary and financial stability.

The Bank's collaboration with Mr. Callanan will
help to further each of these priorities, and
builds on other successful Strategic Plan
initiatives to date - including the launch of a
One Bank Research Agenda, a data visualisation
competition and our new Bank Underground staff
blog.

It is also timely, given the next £20 banknote
will celebrate Britain's achievements in the
visual arts. Since 19 May 2015, the public have
been invited to nominate historic visual artists
they would like to see on the £20 note, to be
released by 2020. Thousands of nominations have
been received so far - underlining the extent of
British achievement in the visual arts and
reinforcing why this field deserves to be
recognised on the next £20 note. The public has
until 19 July 2015 to make their nominations on
the Bank's website.

Welcoming Mr. Callanan's presence at the Bank, Governor Mark Carney said:

"Today's announcement brings together three
recent themes of the Bank's work.  The financial
crisis has taught us that we must look beyond the
conventional, and approach policy issues with
creativity, audacity, and diverse thinking.
Harnessing the power of Big Data will allow for
new patterns, new trends, and ultimately, new
answers to age-old questions. And as we move
towards celebrating the visual arts on our new
£20 bank note, we also reflect on how the visual
arts can help us deliver on our mission to
promote the good of the people of the United
Kingdom. On behalf of the Bank, I warmly welcome
Martin Callanan, I look forward to seeing the
results of his work, and I thank the Leverhulme
Trust and University College London for
generously sponsoring his work."

Read
<http://greyisgood.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a7b90da308ca808d73e815470&id=e81f824045&e=6c05dff77a>online