[artinfo] MeCCSA PGN Conference, Coventry University

Francien Broekhuizen broekhuf at uni.coventry.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 17:58:44 CET 2015

Transformative Practice and Theory: Where We Stand Today

Call for Papers - MeCCSA PGN Conference 2015

Department of Media, Coventry University

2nd - 3rd of July 2015

Deadline for submission of abstracts: 2nd of March 2015

Confirmed speakers: Dr. Clare Birchall (King's
College London), Dr. Rebecca Coleman(Goldsmiths
University), Prof. Gary Hall (Coventry
University).

The multidisciplinary fields of media,
communication and culture face the challenge of
constantly responding to the changing landscape
which they study. In recent years, these fields
have shifted considerably due to the rise in
digital and open media, which have opened up new
spaces for debate. Our negotiation with, and use
of, theory has been transformed through the turn
to affect, and the ways in which we are now
articulating the relationship between bodies,
images and environments as permeable and
interconnected. Practice has also been
transformed, as engagement with what were
traditionally more "static" objects has been
effected due to the disrupted power relations
between producer and consumer, allowing for
further engagement beyond production.

focuses on unique approaches to review the way
pre-existing notions, ideas and practices in
research can be reimagined. We want to promote
how the use of creative and original ways of
research enables the reframing of traditional
ideas to fit with the needs of today. Invited
speakers will contribute by sharing how their own
work pushes the potentials of theory and practice
in the contexts of visual and sensory culture,
data subjects and open access scholarship.

We invite early career academics, Masters and PhD
students to share their work and contribute to
the MeCCSA PGN 2015 conference. All contributions
which fall within the theme of 'Transformative
Practice and Theory' will be considered; topics
for presentations might include (but are not
limited to):Ð

·         Race, Gender and Sexuality in Networked Societies

·         Material/Virtual Embodiment

·         Open Media

·         Rethinking Space, Place and Time

·         Open Pedagogies

·         Digital Cultures/Communities

·         Digital Films and Visual Cultures

·         Immersive, Mobile & Interactive Communications

·         Evolving Methods and Methodologies

·         Digital Research Ethics

·         Gaming/Game Culture

·         Posthumanism

·         Disrupted Privacy and Transparency

·         Visual and Sensory Cultures

Abstracts of up to 250 words, plus the title of
your paper and up to four key words, should be
submitted by 2nd March 2015
to <file:///C:/Users/Francien/Dropbox/MeCCSA%20Conference/CFP/team@meccsapgn2015.co.uk>team at meccsapgn2015.co.uk.
Alternatively, you may submit a link to a
publicly accessible video abstract of no more
than 1 minute in length. Please also include your
name, contact details, and institutional
affiliation.

The fee for the conference will be £40 with an
early bird price of £30. We are able to provide a
limited number of bursaries. If you would like to
be considered for financial assistance please
provide a personal statement and a letter from
your department indicating their inability to
fund your participation when submitting your
abstract.

For further information about the conference
please
visit <http://www.meccsapgn2015.co.uk/>www.meccsapgn2015.co.uk and
follow us on twitter @MeCCSAPGN2015 or contact
the organising committee