[artinfo] Materiality in Times of Immateriality, symposium, Kunstuniversität Linz

Art&Education edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com
Wed Nov 12 11:35:26 CET 2014

Sculpture Unlimited II:
Materiality in Times of Immateriality

Kunstuniversität Linz
Department of Sculpture - Transmedial Space

With lectures by
Aleksandra Domanoviç, artist, Berlin
Mark Fisher, theorist and writer, Goldsmiths College London
Nathalie Heinich, sociologist, CNRS, EHESS, Paris
Mark Leckey, artist, London
Christiane Sauer, architect, Weißensee Kunsthochschule Berlin
Timotheus Vermeulen, theorist and writer, Radboud University Nijmegen
followed by a closing panel session.

While the first symposium "Sculpture Unlimited"
in 2010 dealt with the question of how the
contemporary field of sculpture can be defined in
a useful and stimulating manner against its long
history, the second edition looks at the present
and future. Organised and introduced by Professor
and Head of Department Eva Grubinger and visiting
professor Jörg Heiser, with contributions by
internationally reputed artists and scholars, the
symposium asks the following question: If we
assume that computers and algorithms increasingly
control our lives, that they not only regulate
social and communicative traffic but also produce
new materials and things, does this increase or
decrease the space for artistic imagination and
innovation? Where is the place of art in general
and sculpture in particular, provided that we
don't want art to resort to merely maintaining
aesthetic traditions?

With sculpture as a leading reference, the
contributions will address theory, aesthetics,
and technology, asking: Do current philosophical
movements such as new materialism and
object-oriented ontology affect our notion of the
art object? Does so-called post-Internet art have
a future? And how does the Internet of Things
relate to objects and things in art?

The complete program can be found
<http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=2690&N=10520&L=20336&F=H>here.

The symposium is open to the public and free of charge.

As with the first "Sculpture Unlimited"
symposium, a reader featuring the contributions
of all participants will be published with
Sternberg Press Berlin in 2015.

<http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=2690&N=10520&L=20336&F=H>sculpture-unlimited.info
<http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=2690&N=10520&L=20335&F=H>

Department of Sculpture - Transmedial Space