[artinfo] Opening Critical Media Lab Basel

e-artnow info at e-artnow.org
Mon Nov 10 16:07:35 CET 2014

Opening Critical Media Lab Basel: Design, Media and Criticality

Institute of Experimental Design and Media Cultures (ixdm), Academy
of Art and Design FHNW, Basel

Opening Critical Media Lab Basel:
Design, Media and Criticality

We are happy to invite you to the opening of the Critical Media Lab
Basel. The lab is an integral part of the Institute of Experimental
Design and Media Cultures (ixdm) at the Academy of Art and Design
FHNW Basel. We celebrate the opening on Thursday, 20th November 2014
with scholarly and artistic presentations, discussions and a sound
performance all arranged around the topic of 'Design, Media and
Criticality'.

Located within the new campus facilities the Critical Media Lab is a
vibrant, international hub for historically and contextually engaged
critical media and design practices. A group of international media
artists, design researchers and scholars from the fields of cultural,
media and socials studies operates under the direction of Prof. Dr.
Claudia Mareis and conducts highly innovative, interdisciplinary
research projects at the crossroads of design, media arts, science
and technology. Outputs include publication, lectures, as well as
public-facing artefacts and exhibition designs. Concurrently the
Critical Media Lab is developing a set of contemporary and pioneering
research methods through projects supported by the Comission for
Technology and Innovation (CTI) and the Swiss National Science
Foundation (SNSF). These methods include practice-based research
through critically reconstituting, restoring and examining historical
technologies, the technology-based sensibilisation for algorithms and
imperceptible media signals, and steering public discourse towards
media technological issues through artistic and designerly practice.
The newly constructed lab facility at the new Campus of the Arts at
the Academy of Art and Design FHNW Basel provides a space and
up-to-date media technologies supporting our projects.

Opening hours: 6 to 10 pm
Free entrance, although places are limited

Contact
claudia.mareis at fhnw.ch
Prof. Dr. Claudia Mareis
Phone: +41 61 228 40 22