[artinfo] PUBLIC DAYS OF THE ASSEMBLY

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 20 13:16:56 CEST 2014

PUBLIC DAYS OF THE ASSEMBLY

September 27th and 28th 2014, Hamburg (D), Kampnagel Theatre

http://the-art-of-being-many.net/

Topics:

	* Materiality and Decision
	* Timing and Breaks
	* Blockade and Panic
	* Vogue and Voodoo
	* Sound, Systems and Voices
	* Affects and Documents
	* Real Fictions

End of September 2014 artists, activists,
researchers and participants from all over Europe
and beyond will gather in Hamburg for an assembly
of assemblies. Sharing experiences from
real-democracy-movements and artistic
experimentation they want to explore new ways of
coming together: collective insights into the
materiality, the timing, the agenda, the desires
and the catastrophes of being many. At Kampnagel
Internationale Kulturfabrik  geheimagentur and
friends will build an assembly hall and a camp to
host them. Here, the assembly will become a
laboratory of itself: a collective of friends and
strangers with many voices and bodies including
those of ghosts and things.

Many of us will meet for the first time, but we
all have something in common: We witnessed
moments of assembling, which made the word
’democracy' sound important again.  The
square-squattings and neighbourhood-assemblies of
the real-democracy-movement may not have brought
about the political changes, we hoped for. But
they have been the initial for a new art of being
many.

Before the public assembly starts about 150
people will meet in groups, to focus on the art
of being many from different angles: materiality
and decision, timing and breaks, blockades and
panic, vogue and voodoo, sound, systems and
voices, affects and documents, real fictions.
(see the headers on the left for more
information) Together they will prepare an
assembly for about 400 people, that is going to
last for two days from noon to midnight. Then -
for the second two days of the conference - the
assembly hall will be opened to the public. As an
assembly of assemblies the conference is not
meant to be a series of individual presentations,
acts and keynotes. It is meant to focus on what
can be done together. There is no audience, no
performers, only those, who will be part of the
assembly for these two days.  Just two days. Not
the most important days in the history of
anything or the breaktrough of a new aesthetics.
No. We might just be sad together - thinking
about lost battles. We might be very tired. But
we will try to have an assembly just the way we
like, for two days or for as long as it takes.

THE ART OF BEING MANY is a project by
geheimagentur. It is also an experiment in
collective curating. It is prepared by a large
group of artists, activists and researchers from
collectives like Embros Theatre Athen, Enmedio
Barcelona, Gängeviertel Hamburg,  LIGNA,
Megafonchor, Random People, Mobile Academy, Sweet
and Tender, Showcase Beat le Mot, MACAO Milano,
Teatro Valle Occupato, La Fundación de los
Communes, Grupo de Choque and many others (see -
the ever changing and never complete - Map of
Assemblies).

in cooperation with: Assemblies and
Participation. Urban Publics and Performative
Arts. PHD Program, Kampnagel Internationale
Kulturfabrik and Institut für Soziologie,
Universität Hamburg.