[artinfo] Fwd: cultural boycott

Nicolas Vass nicovass at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 16:07:03 CEST 2014

Please excuse this unsolicited approach from fellow artists. We are
contacting you because we know you share our deep concern for Palestinian
artists struggling to sustain cultural life in intractably difficult
circumstances of occupation and denial of basic human rights. Recent events
have given us, once again, grim evidence of Israeli intransigence.

There is no need to feel helpless in the face of these injustices, even
though they proceed with impunity due to the apathy or complicity of world
powers. We believe that, as cultural workers and members of civil society,
we have a moral and practical power which can shift the dynamics at work in
Israel’s relationship with the outside world and strengthen moves towards
equality, freedom and justice for Palestinians.

Hence the pledge below, which we have signed. Artists in South Africa,
Canada and Ireland have already signed up to similar pledges in large
numbers. We believe that many people working across the arts in the UK will
wish to do likewise.

Please read  <http://www.thefreedomtheatre.org/news/36377/> this call <
http://www.thefreedomtheatre.org/news/36377/>  from Palestinian performing
arts organisations just issued on July 17th, and this <
http://pacbi.org/etemplate.php?id=869>  Palestinian call for cultural
boycott, and consider adding your name to the pledge below. Names of
signatories will not be publicised until a critical mass has been reached
and signatories notified.

If you would like to sign, or to discuss this request, by phone or in
person, please do get in touch with the campaign organisers at
contact at culturalboycott.org.uk.

Kind regards,

Iman Aoun, theatre director
Caryl Churchill, playwright
Brian Eno, composer
Reem Kelani, musician & broadcaster
Mike Leigh, film writer & director
Raja Shehadeh, author

*The pledge:“We support the Palestinian struggle for freedom, justice and
equality. In response to the call from Palestinian artists and cultural
workers for a cultural boycott of Israel, we pledge to accept neither
professional invitations to Israel, nor funding from any institution linked
to its government until it complies with international law and universal
principles of human rights.” ---------------------*