[artinfo] TOGETHERNESS

FRANKFURTER KUNSTVEREIN post at fkv.de
Tue Sep 17 12:30:11 CEST 2013

TOGETHERNESS - OPPORTUNITIES AND LIMITATIONS IN INTERNATINAL ART EXCHANGE

ifa (Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen) panel
discussion on cooperation in international art
exchange with Susanne Gaensheimer, Marcel
Odenbach, Françoise Vergès, and Carla Zaccagnini,
chaired by Tobi Maier

The title of this panel discussion includes a
reference to sociologist Richard Sennett's book
"Together: The Rituals, Pleasures and Politics of
Cooperation". Sennett proposes that cooperation
is a basic mode that enables collaborative
interaction, joining "people who have separate or
conflicting interests, who do not feel good about
each other, who are unequal, or who simply do not
understand one another. The challenge is to
respond to others on their own terms."

This discussion will address questions such as
which conditions bring us together, and which
cultures of togetherness can we establish? Which
institutional structures are necessary, and how
can we shape our encounters on a friendly basis?
What are the forms and dynamics of intercultural
collaboration? Where do we come up against
limitations, and what can we learn from open
cooperation? What is the role of biennials as
venues for international exchange, and what are
their various local effects? Do they reflect
independent cycles of cooperation and
legitimation? What can ifa do as a mediator
between these contexts?

The panel members work internationally in art and
culture, representing artistic, practical, and
theoretical perspectives. Together they will
explore the practices of cooperation.

Speakers:

Susanne Gaensheimer is a curator and art
historian and lives in Frankfurt am Main. Since
2009 she is the director of the MMK Museum für
Moderne Kunst in Frankfurt am Main. In 2013 she
is the curator of the German Pavilion at the 55th
Venice Biennale (for the second time after 2011).

Tobi Maier is a curator and writer and lives in
São Paulo. He has been curator at the Frankfurter
Kunstverein, curatorial advisor to Manifesta 7 in
Rovereto, and curator at Ludlow 38, the downtown
satellite for contemporary art of the
Goethe-Institut in New York. He was one of the
associate curators for the 30th Bienal de São
Paulo (2012).

Marcel Odenbach is an artist and lives in Cologne
and Cape Coast, Ghana. Since 2011 he has been
professor at the Düsseldorf Academy of Fine Arts.
He also teaches as visiting professor at the
National Film and Television Institute in Accra.
ifa is presently preparing a new exhibition of
his works: "Marcel Odenbach. Stille Bewegungen.
Tranquil Motions".

Françoise Vergès is a political scientist and
lives in Paris. She is Consulting Professor at
the Centre for Cultural Studies at Goldsmiths
College in London. Verges was project adviser to
the Créolité and Creolization, platform for
Documenta11 (2002). Between 2002 and 2010, she
was the academic co-curator of the Museum of the
Present project on the island of Réunion. Vergès
has also directed the program "The Slave" in Le
Louvre for the La Triennale 2012 in Paris.

Carla Zaccagnini is a visual artist and lives in
São Paulo. She has taken part, among others, in
28a Bienal de São Paulo (2008), 2da Trienal
Poligráfica de San Juan America Latina y El
Caribe (San Juan, 2009), and Modelos para Armar:
Pensar Latinoamérica desde la colección MUSAC
(Leon, Spain, 2010). Zaccagnini works also as
writer and curator. Currently she is a fellow of
the KfW Stiftung at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien in
Berlin.

							FRANKFURTER KUNSTVEREIN
			Steinernes Haus am Römerberg
Markt 44