[artinfo] Adelheid Mers: Arts Organizations in Society

Janos Sugar sj at c3.hu
Tue Nov 19 21:37:40 CET 2013

In the fall of 2009, I took on the core introductory course, "Arts
Organizations in Society," in the MA program in Arts Administration
and Policy at SAIC. The syllabus was to cover key areas: National
Cultural Policy, Cultural Economics, Heritage and Tourism, Public
Art, issues in Museum Studies, Creative Industries, Digital Heritage
and Electronic Policy.
Given my proclivities, I sketched out a diagram of the course content
as I assembled it, a first version by hand, subsequent ones in
Illustrator. I recounted familiar narratives from museology - the
emergence of the museum from budding scientific, archaeological and
ethnographic classificatory systems in colonial and domestic
political contexts on the one hand, and from the Wunderkammer to
contemporary dedicated architectures on the other.
I also constructed a lineage I had not found spelt out in literature,
the emergence of what is now designated as 'Creative Industries' from
the discoveries and proud and crude parading of both industrial
innovation and ethnic difference at world fairs at the same time as
the museum emerged, to the economic centrality of innovation and the
marketing of diversity today.
http://adelheidmers.org/aweb/artsorgs.htm