[artinfo] Mierle Laderman Ukeles at Grazer Kunstverein

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Mon Mar 4 22:12:49 CET 2013

Mierle Laderman Ukeles

Maintenance Art Works 1969-1980

The Grazer Kunstverein kicks off its inaugural
program dedicated to notions of social
abstraction by presenting the very first
comprehensive European solo exhibition of the
artist's earlier work. Originally organized in
1998 by Ronald Feldman Fine Arts gallery in New
York, the exhibition presents a body of
work spanning over a decade of significant
production.

The work of Mierle Laderman Ukeles (b. 1939,
Denver) concerns the everyday routines of life.
In 1969, following the birth of her first child,
Ukeles wrote "Manifesto for Maintenance Art" as a
challenge to the binary systems of opposition
that draw the line between art/life,
nature/culture, and public/private. The manifesto
proposed undoing boundaries that separate the
maintenance of everyday life from the role of an
artist in society. Ukeles was interested in how
artists could use the concept of transference to
empower people to act as agents of change and
stimulate positive community involvement toward
ecological sustainability. In the 1960s, Ukeles
completed an undergraduate degree in history and
international studies at Barnard and studied
visual arts at Pratt Institute in New York.
Ukeles's work at this time was experimental, and
visually and symbolically conveyed the social
unrest surrounding events, such as the women's
movement and the Vietnam War.

Ukeles became increasingly disturbed by the
separation of the artist in society from everyday
activities, such as childcare, household work,
and other routine labor practices that she felt
should be reinterpreted within the contexts of
personal and political aesthetic values. Ukeles
has stated that "Avant-garde art, which claims
utter development, is infected by strains of
maintenance ideas, maintenance activities, and
maintenance materialsŠ"

"I am an artist. I am a woman. I am a wife. I am
a mother. (Random order) I do a hell of a lot of
washing, cleaning, cooking, renewing, supporting,
preserving, etc. Also, (up to now separately) I
'do' Art. Now I will simply do these everyday
things, and flush them up to consciousness,
exhibit them, as Art." (Ukeles, 1969)

Ukeles' very first publication focusing on her
"Ballet Works" produced between 1983 and 2012
will be produced by Kunstverein, Amsterdam in
collaboration with the Grazer Kunstverein, and
will be published by Sternberg Press with the
support of Ronald Feldman Fine Arts, New York and
the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the
Fine Arts.

9 March-19 May 2013

Grazer Kunstverein
Burggasse 4