[artinfo] X

Janos Sugar sj at c3.hu
Mon Jun 10 11:56:24 CEST 2013

At 1:06 PM +0100 6/9/13, Nicolas Vass wrote:
>http://antiistanbul2013bienal.blogspot.fi/

call to rethink the process of the 13th Istanbul Biennial

We wrote the following text on May 25th, 2013.
With the beginning of the protests at Gezi Park,
our priorities shifted and we decided to postpone
its circulation. Today, especially after  "last
week's" experiences, when we rethink what
happened on May 10th, we are even more convinced
of the urgency of this letter.

Yours sincerely,

We the undersigned, who are all working in the
field of art, condemn the reaction of The
Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts (IKSV)
and 13th Istanbul Biennial curatorial team, to
the protest that was performed by Public/Common
Resistance Platform members at the  "Public
Capital" event on May 10th 2013.
The protest was organized and performed by a group of activists wearing
  T-shirts printed with the names of forcibly
gentrifying neighborhoods in Istanbul; at short
intervals, one would stand up from the crowd and
drape him/ herself on the floor in the middle of
the room using a piece of cloth printed with the
logos of  related companies. The performance was
finished by IKSV team lifting the protesters up
roughly and carrying them off from the venue.
  Whilst pretending to have a "public" discourse ,
this applied intolerance towards critical and
different voices, the violence towards
protesters, and the attempt of detaining a
platform member because he was video recording
the activity, and  calling the police and taking
him to police station and making charges against
him cannot be an acceptable attitude.
The authoritative, judgmental and uncommunicative
attitude of the 13th Istanbul Biennial towards
different voices of the public is highly in
contradiction with its claims to "activate social
engagement and public fora to generate a
possibility for rethinking the concept of
"publicness".*
  We would  kindly and urgently  invite you to
change this authoritarian reflex and rethink the
proposed process (structure) of the 13th Istanbul
Biennial.
*http://bienal.iksv.org/en/archive/newsarchive/p/1/62

Please reply to  imzaliyorum at gmail.com if you like to join.

  Ahmet Ög˜üt, Ahmet S¸enkart, Ali Asker Bal, Ali
Cabbar, Ali I™brahim Öcal, Ali Mete
Sancaktarog˜lu, Ani Setyan, Arzu Bas¸aran, Arzu
Yayžntas¸, Asena Hayal, Asena Günal, Aslž
Çetinkaya, Atalay Yeni, Atilla Atala,  Aylin
Kuryel, Aysel Miman, Azra Deniz Okyay, Baržs¸
Acar, Baržs¸ Mengütay, Baržs¸ Seyitvan, Banu
Cennetog˜lu, Berk Demirbas¸, Bubi, Burak Karacan,
Burçak Konukman, Burçin Bas¸ar, Canan Beykal,
Ceren Oykut, Çiler Belen, Demet Yalçžnkaya, Deniz
Erbas¸, Deniz Gökduman, Deniz Gül, Deniz Ilgaz,
Deniz M. Örnek, Deniz Pireci, Derya Aydog˜du,
Didem Erk, Didem Özbek, Dilara Hançer Sebah, Dino
Dinçer S¸irin, Eda Gecikmez, Ege Berensel,  Elif
Zeynep Karagöz, Emine Corduk,  Emre Zeytinog˜lu,
Endam Acar, Erdag˜ Aksel, Erden Kosova, Erinç
Seymen, Esat Bas¸ak, Evrensel Belgin, Evrim
Altug˜, Evrim Kavcar, Fatos¸ Karadag˜, Ferhat
Özgür, Feyyaz Yaman, Fžrat Arapog˜lu, Foto
Akbaba, Fulya Çalžs¸kan, Fulya Çetin, Füsun
Turcan Elmasog˜lu, Gonca Sezer, Gözde Kazaz, Gül
Bolulu, Gülçin Aksoy, Günay Demir, Hakan Akçura,
Hakan Kamžs¸og˜lu, Hatice Aržcž, Itžr Demir,
I™brahim Koç, I™lhan Sayžn, I™lke Yžlmaz, I™nci
Furni, I™nsel I™nal, Kardelen Fincancž, Komet
Gürkan Ços¸kun, Lara Fresko, Leyla Sakpžnar,
Lütfiye Bozdag˜, Mahmut Koyuncu, Malik Bulut,
Murat Morova, Murat Seçkin, Nalan Yžrtmaç, Nejat
Satž, Neriman Polat, Nihan Tahtais¸leyen, Nilbar
Güres¸, Nur Ataibis¸, Nurcan Gündog˜an, Nur
Gürel, Onur Ceritog˜lu, Onur Gülfidan, Onur
Kaçmaz, Osman Bozkurt, Oya Kasap, Özcan Yaman,
Özge Açžkkol, Özgür Atlagan, Özgür Çimen, Raziye
Kubat,  Saadet Sorgunlu, Sakine Çil,  Selen
Usanmaz, Selin Kocagöncü, Sema Efe, Serpil
Odabas¸ž, Seçil Yersel, Seçkin Aydžn,  Sevil
Tunaboylu, Sevinç Altan, Seydi Murat Koç, Suat
Ög˜üt, Sylvia Kouvali, S¸efik Özcan, S¸ehmus
Atasever, Tahir Ün,  T. Melih Görgün, Ulas¸
Bas¸ar Gezgin, Uluç Ali Kžlžç, Ümit Turgay
Durgun, Vahit Tuna, Yahya Mete Madra, Yasemin
Özcan, Yasemin Nur, Yavuz Parlar, Yes¸im
Ag˜aog˜lu, Yes¸im S¸ahin, Yes¸im Us, Zeynep Yasa,
Zeyno Pekünlü