[artinfo] Pirkka & Co. exhibition of Zsigmond Lucza

Zsigmond Lucza luczazsigmond at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:53:23 CET 2013

Zsigmond Lucza cordially invites you to the vernissage of his upcoming solo
exhibition

*Pirkka & Co.*

in Gallery Kajo III, Rotko (University of Lapland), Rovaniemi, Finland

10.1. - 24.1.2013

Opening: 10.1.2013 at 6pm

Sincerely Yours,

Zsigmond Lucza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddMZfrktqto

"Pirkka is a fictive character. He has a plastic bag mask. He hides
his face like Nuuttipukki. He hides his face like a sniper. He is an
icon: he is watching you."

I have been studying as an Erasmus exchange student at the University
of Lapland in Rovaniemi since September 2012. My art is about interaction
between painting and other media: I make paintings about reality, mostly as
visualized in photos and videos. On
the other hand I transform the paintings into moving pictures.

In the present exhibition the viewer can see a painting animation and
paintings, which were completed here during the fall semester. The
paintings are portraits of Pirkka, an imaginary character, a guy
with a plastic bag on his head with the typical brand name from the
local supermarket. The painting animation is a moving picture-portait of
Lapin Elvis, a local guy whom I got to know at a pub in Rovaniemi.

Pirkka symbolizes my approaching to the life here and Lapin Elvis is
part of the local life and culture I have gotten know during my stay
in the town.