[artinfo] Launching the ArtLeaks Gazette - Call for Papers

e-artnow info at e-artnow.org
Tue Sep 25 11:54:15 CEST 2012

Launching the ArtLeaks Gazette (Call for Papers)

art-leaks.org/

<mailto:artsleaks at gmail.com>artsleaks at gmail.com
Corina Apostol
Phone: +17324218623
Fax: +17329328201

Art Leaks
71 Hamilton Street
New Brunswick 08901
USA

Deadline: December 31st 2012

Artleaks was founded in 2011 as an international
platform for cultural workers where instances of
abuse, corruption and exploitation are exposed
and submitted for public inquiry. After over a
year of activity, we, members of the collective
ArtLeaks felt an urgent need to establish a
regular on-line publication as a tool for
empowerment in the face of the systemic abuse of
cultural workers' basic labor rights, repression
or even blatant censorship and growing
corporatization of culture that we encounter
today.

Namely: radical (political) projects are co-opted
under the umbrella of corporate promotion and
gentrification; artistic research is performed on
research hand-outs, creating only an illusion of
depth while in fact adding to the reserve army of
creative capital; the secondary market thrives as
auction houses speculate on blue chip artists for
enormous amounts of laundered money, following
finance capitalism from boom to bust, meanwhile,
most artists can't even make a living and depend
on miserly fees, restrictive residencies, and
research handouts to survive; galleries and
dealers more and more heavily copyright cultural
values; approximately 5% of authors, producers
and dealers control 80% of all cultural resources
(and indeed, in reality, the situation may be
even worse than these numbers suggest) ; certain
cultural managers and institutions do not shy
away from using repressive maneuvers against
those who bring into question their mission,
politics or dubious engagements with corporate or
state benefactors; and last but not least,
restrictive national(ist) laws and governments
suppress cultural workers through very drastic
politics, not to mention the national state
functions as a factor of neoliberal expression in
the field of culture.

Do you recognize yourself in the scenarios above?
Do you accept them as immutable conditions of
your labor? We strongly believe that this dire
state of affairs can be changed. We do not have
to carry on complying to politics that cultivate
harsh principles of pseudo-natural selection (or
social-Darwinism) - instead we should fight
against them and imagine different scenarios
based on collective values, fairness and dignity.
We strongly believe that issues of exploitation,
repression or cooptation cannot be divorced from
their specific politico-economic contexts and
historical conditions, and need to be raised in
connection with a new concept of culture as an
invaluable reservoir of the common, as well as
new forms of class consciousness in the artistic
field in particular, and the cultural field more
generally.

Recently, this spectrum of urgencies and the
necessity to address them has also become the
focus of fundamental discussions and reflection
on the part of communities involved in cultural
production and certain leftist social and
political activists. Among these, we share the
concerns of pioneering groups such as the Radical
Education Collective (Ljubljana), Precarious
Workers' Brigade (PWB) (London), W.A.G.E. (NYC),
Arts &Labor (NYC), the May Congress of Creative
Workers (Moscow) and others (see the Related
Causes section on our website). The condition of
cultural workers has also recently been theorized
within the framework of bio-politics - in which
cognitive labor is implicitly described as a new
hegemonic type of production in the context of
the global industrialization of creative work.

The question then emerges, what is creative work
today? To structure this undifferentiated
categorizations, we will begin by addressing in
our journal all those 'occupied' with art who are
striving towards emancipatory knowledge in the
process of their activity. As the contemporary
art world more and more envelops different areas
of knowledge as well as the production of events,
we considered it a priority to focus on this
particular field. However, we remain open to
discussing urgencies related to other forms of
creative activity beyond the art world.

Through our journal, we want to stresses the
urgent need to seriously transform these workers'
relationship with institutions, networks and
economies involved in the production,
reproduction and consumption of art and culture.
We will pursue these goals through developing a
new approach to the tradition of institutional
critique and fostering new forms of artistic
production, that may challenge dominant
discourses of criticality and social engagement
which tame creative forces. We also feel the
urgency to link cultural workers' struggles with
similar ones from other fields of human activity
- at the same time, we strongly believe that any
such sustainable alliances could hardly be built
unless we begin with the struggles in our own
factories.

Announced Theme for the first issue: Breaking the
Silence - Towards Justice, Solidarity and
Mobilization

The main theme of the first issue of our journal
is establishing a politics of truth by breaking
the silence on the art world. What do we actually
mean by this? We suggest that breaking the
silence on the art world is similar to breaking
the silence of family violence and other forms of
domestic abuse. Similarly as when coming out with
stories of endemic exploitation form inside the
household, talking about violence and
exploitation in the art world commonly brings
shame, ambivalence and fear. But while each case
of abuse may be different, we believe these are
not singular instances but part of a larger
system of repression, abuse and arrogance that
have been normalized through the practices of
certain cultural managers and institutions. Our
task is to find voices, narratives, hybrid forms
that raise consciousness about the profound
effects of these forms of maltreatments: to break
through the normalizing rhetoric that relegate
cultural workers' labor to an activity performed
out of instinct, for the survival of culture at
large, like sex or child rearing which, too are
zones of intense exploitation today.

Implicit in this gesture is a radical form of
protest - one that does not simply join the
concert of affirmative institutional critique
which confirms the system by criticizing it.
Rather, breaking the silence implies bringing
into question the ways in which the current art
system constructs positions for its speakers, and
looking for strategies in which to counteract
naturalized exploitation and repression today.

At the same time, we recognize that the moment of
exposure does not fully address self-organization
or, what comes after breaking the silence? We
suggest that it is therefore important to link
this to solidarity, mobilization and an appeal
for justice, as political tools. As it is the
understanding of the dynamic interaction between
the mobilization of resources, political
opportunities in contexts and emancipatory
cultural frames that we can use to analyze and
construct strategies for cultural workers
movements. With summoning the urgency of
'potentia agendi' (or the power to act)
collectively we also call for the necessity to
forge coalitions within the art world and beyond
it - alliances that have the concrete ability of
exerting a certain political pressure towards
achieving the promise of a more just and
emancipatory cultural field.

Structure of publication

The journal would be divided into 6 major sections.

A. Critique of cultural dominance apparatuses

Here we will address methodological issues in
analyzing the condition of cultural production
and the system that allows for the facile
exploitation of the cultural labor-force.
Ideally, though not necessarily, these
theoretical elaborations would be related to
concrete case studies of conflicts, exploitation,
dissent across various regions of the world,
drawing comparisons and providing local context
for understanding them.

B. Forms of organization and history of struggles

Cultural workers have been demanding just working
conditions, struggling over agency and
subjectivity in myriad ways and through various
ideas about what this entails. In this section we
will analyze historical case-studies of
self-organization of cultural workers. Our goal
is not to produce a synthetic model out of all of
these struggles, rather to examine how problems
have been articulated at various levels of
(political) organization, with attention to the
genealogy of the issues and the interaction
between hegemonic discourses (of the institution,
corporation, the state) and those employed by
cultural workers in their respective communities.

C. The struggle of narrations

In this section we will invite our contributors
to develop and practice artistic forms of
narration which cannot be fully articulated
through direct 'leaking'. It should be focused on
finding new languages for narration of systemic
dysfunctions . We expect these elaborations can
take different form of artistic contributions,
including comics, poems, films, plays, short
stories, librettos etc.

D. Glossary of terms

What do we mean by the concept of 'cultural
workers'? What does 'gentrification' or 'systemic
abuse' mean in certain contexts? Whose 'art
world'? This section addresses the necessity of
developing a terminology to make theoretical
articulations more clear and accessible to our
readers. Members of ArtLeaks as well as our
contributors to our gazette will be invited to
define key terms used in the material presented
in the publication. These definitions should be
no more that 3-4 sentences long and they should
be formulated as a result of a dialogue between
all the contributors.

E. Education and its discontents

The conflicts and struggles in the field of
creative education are at the core of determining
what kind of subjectivities will shape the
culture(s) of future generations. It is very
important to carefully analyze what is currently
at the stake in these specific fields of
educational processes and how they are linked
with what is happening outside academies and
universities. In this section we will discuss
possible emancipatory approaches to education
that are possible today, which resist pressing
commercial demands for flexible and 'creative'
subjectivities. Can we imagine an alternative
system of values based of a different meaning of
progress?

F. Best practices and useful resources

In this section we would like to invite people to
play out their fantasies of new, just forms of
organization of creative life. Developing the
tradition of different visionaries of the past we
hope that this section will trigger many
speculations which might help us collect modest
proposals for the future and thus counter the
shabby reality of the present. This section is
also dedicated to the practices which demonstrate
alternative ethical guidelines, and stimulate the
creation of a common cultural sphere. This would
allow cultural workers to unleash their full
potential in creating values based on principles
of emancipatory politics, critical reflections
and affirmative inspiration of a different world
where these values should form the basis of a
dignified life.

On Practicalities
Our open call addresses all those who feel the
urgency to discuss the aforementioned-issues. We
look forward to collecting contributions until
the 31st of December 2012. Contributions should
be delivered in English or as an exemption in any
language after negotiations with the editorial
council. The editorial council of Artleaks takes
responsibility of communicating with all authors
during the editorial process.

Please contact us with any questions, comments
and submit materials to :
<mailto:artsleaks at gmail.com>artsleaks at gmail.com.
When submitting material, please also note the
section under which you would like to see it
published.

The on-line gazette will be published in English
under the Creative Commons attribution
noncommercial-share alike and its materials will
be offered for translation in any languages to
any interested parts.

We will publish all contributions delivered to us
in a separate section. However, our editorial
council takes full responsibility in composing an
issue of the journal in the way we feel it should
be done.

Editorial council for the first issue will
consist of: Corina L. Apostol, Vladan
Jeremiç,Vlad Morariu, David Riff and Dmitry
Vilensky.

<http://art-leaks.org/>art<http://art-leaks.org/>-leaks.org/