[artinfo] Visual Literacy of Our Images

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jan 3 15:05:35 CET 2012

Visual Literacy of Our Images

Article by Rachel Beth Egenhoefer.

Yesterday morning I went to get my New York Times as I do every
Sunday. As I unwrapped the rolled up paper (yes I'm talking about the
physical paper edition) I wondered what image would appear on the
front page of the first day of 2012. This the leading newspaper in
the US surely would bring in the new year with a powerful image of
what is to come. Which is why I went through a rollercoaster of
thoughts when I revealed this image as the front page.

A bunch of people taking pictures of a ball dropping. Seriously?! Not
people enjoying the ball dropping, but photographing the ball
dropping. I immediately wondered what happened in the moments after
this photo was taken. Were people cheering and kissing and
celebrating in the streets? Or were they instantly uploading,
Facebook-ing, and tweeting these images? It seems as though more and
more people are not presently enjoying events, but rather documenting
them to share with others (either for bragging rights, or to
genuinely share the moment) But what is better? Enjoying the New
Years ball drop and experiencing the excitement in the moment or
letting your entire Facebook network know that you were there? Having
never actually been to New York to see the ball drop, I'm not sure I
can actually answer, however this cover images is but one of many
examples of this new behavior - our need to instantly document and
share.

Link to rest of Rachel Beth's article
http://www.furtherfield.org/blog/rachel-beth-egenhoefer/visual-literacy-our-images

Community Blog Stream