[artinfo] WITNESS.org on technology, social media, video, and human rights

Sameer Padania sameerpadania at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 13:37:09 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

the human rights organisation WITNESS has just released *Cameras
Everywhere*, a new report about the relationships between video,
technology, social media, privacy and human rights.
The report, on which I am lead author and researcher, is is aimed at
engineers, product managers, executives, VCs and other investors in
the technology/social media sphere, as well as at NGOs, activists,
policy-makers and donors/foundations, and is designed in part to
bring those working in and funding these very distinct fields a
little closer together. It makes specific and concrete
recommendations of how to make technology and social media more
protective of human rights - I hope you will find both the analysis
and the recommendations thought-provoking and practically useful, and
we welcome your feedback and responses.  Of course, please feel free
to share it with those you think should see it (though please be
aware that at the moment it is only available in English.)

The report can be downloaded at the WITNESS website, along with
further information about the overall WITNESS Cameras Everywhere
initiative at:
http://www.witness.org/cameras-everywhere

There is also an interview with me about the issues covered in the
report on the BBC Outriders website at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/outriders/2011/09/protecting_the_vulnerable_onli.shtml

If you use, cite or blog about the report, or if you'd like to share
your comments and responses with us directly, or if you'd just like
further information, please get in touch with WITNESS at
cameraseverywhere at witness.org, or via Twitter
(http://twitter.com/witnessorg), and please also feel free to contact
me too.

Best wishes,