[artinfo] Fwd: hetfoi szimpozion

± b2 at c3.hu
Sun Jun 5 22:45:03 CEST 2011

*Művészet - művészettörténet - számítógép - internet
*
Kedves Kollégák,
küldök két programot HOLNAPRA*, az egyikben absztraktok is találhatók.
Nagyon
örülnénk, ha megtisztelnének jelenlétükkel!
Köszönettel és üdvözlettel
Beke László
* tudom, hogy ez felháborító, elnézést kérek!

------------------

Art, informatics, computer design

June 6, 2011, 9:30-18:00

hosted by

Research Institute for Art History of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences

http://www.arthist.mta.hu

Conference program

Location

Hungarian Academy of Sciences

1051 Budapest, Széchenyi István tér 9. (ex Roosevelt tér) 3rd floor

Date

June 6, 2011, 9:30-18:00

9:30

Welcome addresses

10:00-11:00

László Beke: Introductory remarks: Albert-László Barabási's contribution to
the art history

Astrit Schmidt-Burkhardt: Suddenly It All Falls into Place! Art History
Discovers the Diagram

László Márfai Molnár: Myths of informatics - sonny and dark sides

Discussion

11:00-11:20

Coffee break

11:20-12:20

Zoltán Szegedy-Maszák: Immersive and augmented reality installations

József Tasnádi: Information architecture

      Péter Mázár: MTA - Web site redesign experiment

Discussion

12:40-14:00

Lunch break2 Art, informatics, computer design June 6, 2011, 9:30-18:00

14:00-15:30

Erika Katarina Pásztor, Emese Balikó: Network of Thoughts (NoT) - identity
representation and visualization based on a different concept of social
networking

Róbert Langh: Script and Scroll at the Academy of Fine Arts

István Erőss: Net-Works: an intuitive approach

Discussion

15:30-15:50

Coffee break

15:50-17:40

Gabriella Vincze: Movement analysis, dance notations and computerized
choreography

Ádám Albert, Beata Dávid, Réka Szalóky and Csilla Vizl: Hunt the key:
mapping corruption in the real-estate 'business'

Lajos Golovics - Dávid Rácz: Art - Investment - Analysis

Dicussion

17:40 - 18:00

Closure

The conference is a joint event of Arts, Humanities and Complex Networks -
2nd Leonardo Symposion at NetSci 2011, taking place on June 7, 2011 at
Ludwig Museum - Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest.

http://artshumanities.netsci2011.net/3 Art, informatics, computer design
June 6, 2011, 9:30-18:00

Abstracts

Ádám Albert, Beata Dávid, Réka Szalóky and Csilla Vizl

Hunt the key: mapping corruption in the real-estate 'bu­siness'

In Mark Lombardi's footsteps our aim was to demonstrate how social network
visualization can help to understand complex social relationships.

Running on the borders of the 6th and 7th district of Buda­pest, Király
Street was famously called in the past century 'the most emblematic
(Buda)Pest street' by the writer Gyula Krúdy. The neoclassical buildings on
Király Street - some of them listed in the national heritage list - now all
await renovation or demolition. Amongst others, 25-29 Király Street, three
nationally 'protected' buildings adjacent to each other are for sale. The
visualisation of our "corruption network" is based on 27 newspaper articles
published since 2004 in 12 different papers, written by journalists
committed to meticulous research on some of these processes and
manipulations of the increasing globalisation of Király Street. The 2-mode
network analysis of the relationship of different companies, firms and
people who were involved in one way or another in the procedure of selling
these real-estates reveal a vastly complex network. The visualisation
displays people's and companies'affiliations differently, aiming to reveal a
particular kind of power, decoding a convoluted, not at all transparent
process which has been applied in other 13 cases in the past 6 years along
Király Street in Budapest.

keywords: 2-mode network, Mark Lombardi, visualization, Otto Neurath,
real-estate, heritage, corruption

István Erőss

Net-Works: an intuitive approach

In my lecture, I will present a possible, intuitive representation mode of
networks, illustrated by my own artworks.

    Róbert Langh

Script and Scroll at the Academy of Fine Arts

The presentation focusing the education of skills of multimedia design at
the Intermedia dept., Academy of Fine Arts is going to give a brief overview
of the last ten years in processing data and content by the instruments of
personal computing. Since the participants of this course are advanced
students of the university, the cooperation of theory and praxis very often
results in unique and meaningful work of developing individual communication
strategies. The subject is open for the projects of non-technological origin
as well, so the selected examples are sometimes conflicting the practical
approaches of building well organized databases and interfaces. One of the
frequent questions coming up in connection with technology and art is if
there are any logical obstacles of making a concept really a working modell,
and mostly the answer is that a functional piece of art communicates a way
of exceeding it's inner contradictions. The selected multimedia works are
providing a useful research area for the audience participating the
presentation.

     Péter Mázár

      MTA - Web site redesign experiment

     What do you need to build a proper web site?

     Who are the people at the other end of the channel?

     How can you design a stunning solution?

     How can you use and maintain it?

     László Márfai Molnár

     Informatics and culture: Sunny and Dark Side

     The cult of informatics is a phenomenon that goes back to decades as it
was observed by many of its critics including Roszak Theodore. The paradox
of the cult of informatics lies in the fact that it simultaneously emerges
as a product of culture while at the same time it seeks to reshape the whole
process of cultural acquisition. It is, however, necessary to distinguish
between the business-driven technical psychosis, which is generated with the
sole purpose of increasing consumption and the various sub-cultures
connected with technology. The latter offers a far more productive field for
inquiry so I focus only on this topic. What renders this field particularly
challenging is its extraordinary capacity of changing, renewing and
expanding. This characteristic provides the daily users with a special
experience and it forces the researchers to be self-reflective.

    Erika Katarina Pásztor - Emese Balikó

    Network of Thoughts (NoT) - identity representation and visualization
based on a different

    concept of social networking

    Identity becomes a core issue in our social world: corporate and
personal branding is a key utility. The NoT project reflects on these issues
pulling into the picture a philosophical approach to identity inspired by
the Dutch art critic and philosopher, Frans Jeursen. His statement is the
basic point of NoT's departure, namely, "I am not identical with the things
I possess, with the people I know, with my identity card data or the brands
(or objects) I use. I'm identical with my thoughts". NoT suggests that
thoughts are strongly connected to each other, creating a network. My
thoughts inspire and are inspired by other people's thoughts. There is a
special space of flow of constantly moving thoughts, which haven't got
important time and geographical attributes. In the Network of Thoughts one
is identical with 'thoughts-nodes' necessarily overlapping another person's
thoughts-nodes. The presentation introduces the concept of NoT as an ongoing
artistic research and its recent developments in visualization while giving
an insight view of the conceptual, visual and representational limits and
questions of Internet technology based expression of complex dynamic
networks.

keywords: artistic research, identity, interface, internet 4 Art,
informatics, computer design

technology, social network, representation, thoughts, visualization, web

Astrit Schmidt-Burkhardt

     Suddenly It All Falls into Place! Art History Discovers the Diagram

    The rising interest in the diagram stems from scholarly pragmatism.
Visualized data and facts bring temporal and logical connections to light,
they allow knowledge to be fixed in what is essentially an extended form of
words and pictures, and they generate new epistemic processes - pressing
grounds for the ever more important role now played by diagrams in art
historiography, both as an object of study and as a knowledge tool.

Zoltán Szegedy-Maszák

Immersive and augmented reality installations

With a brief historical introduction I intend to illustrate current trends
in interactive computer art. By showing my own works as examples the
presentation follows the shift from immersive, virtual reality installations
towards artificial augmentations of physical environments. This was an
important trend of the last decade in the history of interactive art,
clearly showing that today the previously parallel universes of physical and
artificial/virtual realities are definitively mixed. As our everyday life is
augmented by technology, artworks no more can represent alternate,
independent virtual worlds, illusions.

József Tasnádi

Information architecture

--INFORMEL

INFORMEL is an application designed for visualizing complex relationships
using as source dataBases concieved and created by the users themselfs. It
is proper to visualize dataBases having visual content, also to reperesent
certain scientific-, sociological-, historical relations, portfolios,
various structures. However it servs a better understanding of complex
processes and relations of any kind.

Gabriella Vincze

Movement analysis, dance notations and computerized choreography

This presentation is about the way how movements recorded -primarily dance-,
about a specific type of it "dance notations". From a historycal aspect the
"dance notation" allows us to reconstruct dance performances. On the other
hand it serves as a memento for the choreographer. Some, as the Eshkol-
Wachmann movement notation is used by the medical science as well. After a
brief historical introduction the presentation will give an outline about
the major "dance notations" from the first half of the 20th century. It will
discuss about some more recent "dance notations" from after the 60s and
about the possibilities and disadvantages of the computerized choreography
which was born from the results of movement analysis and biomechanics.