[artinfo] images of global politics (Game related)

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Nov 15 14:17:52 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

Please respond to jeremy at tmttlt.com and i'll be willing to share the
list with anyone that asks.

I'm looking for the images of global, world, or international
politics that are canonical to your mind.  Keep in mind that these
things can be intensely local, so I'm asking for as many thing as you
can imagine that you think you would share with people from your
community/ies as you imagine them.

This is for a project that I'm working on in the Spring that will
integrate video/images/texts/ and videogames into a course on global
politics targeted at freshmen and sophomores.  I've found that most
of my undergraduate students haven't even seen the Tiananmen square
tank video, images from the Bhopal disaster, the Challenger
explosion, and a myriad of other highly symbolic videos that have
influenced world events.  Some have seen video of the fall of the
Berlin wall, and such, but none had seen the canonical picture of
President Richard Nixon and Elvis (which is sort of symbolic of the
transformation of the role of global leaders in the media age).  It
doesn't have to be explicetly politics either, because media and
civil society events have had significant effect too

So if you would send me your list of images, televised, from
newspapers, from the internet, or otherwise mediated to you.  I don't
need urls, i just need the Event.  I would be most grateful.

Note this project is for teaching, not research, the contents of your
emails will be compiled and anonymized and shared with whomever asks
for copies. As such, none of your personal information will be
published or otherwise disseminated in any manner.

Please send them to jeremy at tmttlt.com  (it is actually a gmail
address, so if you want to avoid sending things to gmail, don't send,
i'm using it because it has better spam filters, not that you are
going to send me spam, but that the address will be public and thus
be spammed by spammers)

Thanks and if you want a copy of the list ask off list.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Political Science
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.tmttlt.com

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain