[artinfo] Panopticlick

Janos Sugar sj at c3.hu
Thu Jan 28 09:51:23 CET 2010

What fingerprints does your browser leave behind as you surf the web?
Traditionally, people assume they can prevent a website from
identifying them by disabling cookies on their web browser.
Unfortunately, this is not the whole story.
When you visit a website, you are allowing that site to access a lot
of information about your computer's configuration. Combined, this
information can create a kind of fingerprint - a signature that could
be used to identify you and your computer. But how effective would
this kind of online tracking be?
EFF is running an experiment to find out. Our new website
Panopticlick will anonymously log the configuration and version
information from your operating system, your browser, and your
plug-ins, and compare it to our database of five million other
configurations. Then, it will give you a uniqueness score - letting
you see how easily identifiable you might be as you surf the web.
https://panopticlick.eff.org
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/01/help-eff-research-web-browser-tracking