[artinfo] Call for application: Subversive Handicrafts

Artevida Zavod artevida.zavod at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 23:42:25 CEST 2009

Call to artists for participation in a group exhibition themed as “Subversive handicrafts – taboos in the weaving of culture”.
Taboos are so deeply rooted, we often don't notice nor question them, and yet they create our reality, perception, behavior and shape our cultures. Analyze, question, challenge, expose, come to terms with the core of your cultural tradition through the media of it's traditional handicrafts.
Artworks can be two or three dimensional, made in traditional handicraft techniques such as crocheting, knitting, embroidery, felting, weaving, jewelry making and others, or made by reclaiming / upcycling existing traditional handicraft products to create a new artwork. Choice of materials is free, dimensions maximum 3 x 3 meters, maximum weight 100kg.
Applications with photos or precise plans/drawings (max 5 works per author) with detailed description of artwork, technique, material, dimensions and weight should be sent by 10th of November 2009 to artevida.zavod at yahoo.com.
A selection of works from Slavic countries will be presented in the beginning of December during international conference about taboos in Slavic art in Poland.
Wider selection of works from all over the world will be presented in a collective exhibition at the “Modra hisa” gallery in Ljubljana – Slovenia from March till April of 2010.

ARTEVIDA non-profit for arts&humanities
Bravnicarjeva 13
1000 Ljubljana
Slovenia