[artinfo] Mish Mash: LEA Leonardo Electronic Almanac Call

Lanfranco Aceti lanfranco.aceti at leoalmanac.org
Sun Nov 22 02:59:56 CET 2009

CALL FOR ARTICLES Istanbul, November-20-09

SUBJECT mish mash

In December 2009 LEA - Leonardo Electronic
Almanac, a member of the Leonardo/ISAST/MIT Press
family - will re-launch. Its new format will
combine the features of a high-production-value
art magazine with the scholarly rigor of an
academic journal. Lanfranco Aceti, Editor in
Chief, and Paul Brown, Co-editor, intend to
produce a well illustrated, attractive and
readable magazine that will simultaneously be
available online as a hyperlinked
screen-resolution PDF document, a high-resolution
print-on-demand magazine and in a downloadable
version for book readers on electronic devices
like the Amazon Kindle. The publications will be
integrated into a regularly updated web portal
that will provide additional and supporting
services like announcements, opportunities,
interactive content-oriented blogs and Wikis.
This LEA online environment is intended to be a
hierarchical content generator with the quarterly
publication representing a punctuated pinnacle of
this multidimensional, user-driven,
discipline-oriented social network.

LEA will focus on the convergence of arts,
science and technology and combine special issue
front-end features with ongoing thematic
background content. It will combine invited and
commissioned essays with peer-reviewed scholarly
papers.

The target audience for the publication
encompasses a broad spectrum ranging from
professionals active in the field to laypeople
with a general interest in the contemporary arts.
We believe the time is right for an arts,
sciences and technology publication pitched
centrally within the arts mainstream.

The theme of the first issue of the Leonardo
Electronic Almanac magazine is mish mash.

The first issue will be a collection of articles,
reviews and opinion pieces that discuss and
analyze the complexity of mixing things together
as a process that is not necessarily undertaken
in an orderly and organized manner. In this issue
there will be contributions from Frieder Nake,
Stelarc and other important cultural operators.

Although the magazine is thematically structured,
the concept of mish mash leaves a wide open
opportunity to discuss issues in
interdisciplinary education; art, science and
technology interactions; personal artistic
practices; history of re-combinatory practices;
hybridizations between old and new media;
cultural creolization; curatorial studies and
more.
Under the editorship of Lanfranco Aceti and Paul
Brown the magazine call is open to the0retical,
scientific and cultural analyses as well as
practice based pieces or a mish mash of all of
the above.

The Leonardo Electronic Almanac (LEA) will
produce an online and print on demand issue, as
well as host curated images and videos online.
Proposals to: <mailto:info at leoalmanac.org>info at leoalmanac.org

a) Subject heading: mish mash.
b) 500 hundred word abstract for articles.
c) 2 images at 72 dpi resolution no larger than 800 pixels width for artists.
d) Links to previous work, videos or personal sites.
e) Deadline for full papers is February 15, 2010
for publication in the first issue.
f) Please feel free to disseminate and forward this call to interested parties.

Our publication formats allow for full-color
throughout and we encourage rich pictorial
content where relevant and possible. Note however
that all material submitted must be copyright
cleared (or due diligence must be evidenced). For
online publication a wide variety of media
content may be considered (animation, mp3, flash,
java, etcŠ)

* For scholarly papers please submit the final
paper ready for peer review. Your contribution
will be reviewed by at least two members of the
LEA board and revisions may be requested subject
to review.
* For themed and pictorial essays please submit
an abstract or outline for editorial
consideration and further discussion.
* Please keep your news, announcements and
hyperlinks brief and focused - include contact
details and a link to an external site where
relevant. We reserve the right to sub-edit your
submissions in order to comply with LEA policies
and formats. Where material is time-sensitive
please include both embargo and expiry dates.
* In all cases specify special system
considerations where these are necessary
(platform, codecs, plug-ins, etcŠ)

We hope you share our excitement about the new
LEA and we look forward to hearing from you!

For further information or images submission
contact:
<mailto:Ozden.Sahin at leoalmanac.org>Ozden.Sahin at leoalmanac.org

Lanfranco Aceti
<mailto:Lanfranco.Aceti at leoalmanac.org>Lanfranco.Aceti at leoalmanac.org
Editor in Chief, Leonardo Electronic Almanac

Paul Brown
<mailto:Paul.Brown at leoalmanac.org>Paul.Brown at leoalmanac.org
Co-Editor, Leonardo Electronic Almanac

<http://www.lanfrancoaceti.com>http://www.lanfrancoaceti.com
Dr. Lanfranco Aceti, Associate Professor in
Contemporary Art & Digital Culture - Sabanci
University
Editor in Chief, Leonardo Electronic Almanac (Leonardo Journal and MIT Press)
Honorary Lecturer, Department of Computer
Science, Virtual Reality Environments, University
College London