[artinfo] AC Institute [Direct Chapel] - 2009/2010 Call for Participation/Call for Artists

Csóka Edina ecsoka at mucsarnok.hu
Mon Jun 22 15:01:33 CEST 2009

e-artnow presents: AC Institute [Direct Chapel] - 2009/2010 Call for Participation/Call for Artists2009/2010 Call for Participation/Call for Artists
AC [Institute]
547 West 27th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10001
Contact:
info at artcurrents.org

www.artcurrents.org

Deadlines:
To be considered for Fall and Spring Calendar:
August 1, 2009
To be considered for Spring Calendar:
November 1, 2009

Gallery Hours:
Wed, Fri & Sat: 1-6pm,
Thurs: 1-8pm

REALIT(Y/IES)

Deadlines:
To be considered for Fall and Spring Calendar: August 1, 2009
To be considered for Spring Calendar: November 1, 2009

REALIT(Y/IES) Call:
This means that the dialectic of semblance and Real cannot be reduced to the rather elementary fact that the virtualization of our daily lives, the experience that we are living more and more in an artificially constructed universe, gives rise to an irresistible urge to 'return to the Real', to regain firm ground in some 'real reality'.
―Slavoj Žižek, Welcome to the Desert of the Real!, 2002

In 2008 we wondered: the relationship between real estate prices and actual money, if the crowds at the Armory were smaller than the year before, the various costs of a fossil fuel driven culture, if our gallery could exist without being on Facebook and if we even needed to leave our homes (or computers for that matter).

The AC Institute seeks works to exhibit for its upcoming 2009/2010 season. Our call is not meant as a 'return to the Real' rather, like Žižek, we continue in an exploration of 'reality'―the things, the conditions, the concepts, the perceptions, the implications and the relationships and/or dialogues between them. Our focus is on the ephemeral (site-specific works, installation, sound video, etc) though any media/medium will be considered so long as they suit our various gallery spaces.

With your submissions, please include the following in an email (no attachments please):
-A short description and/or images of the work you are proposing for our spaces
-Your standard CV and contact information
-Links to your website or other sites where materials could be viewed, if possible

About AC Institute [Direct Chapel]:
AC's mission is to advance the understanding of art through investigation, research and education. It is a lab and forum for experimentation and critical discussion. We support and develop projects that explore a performative exchange across visual, verbal and experiential disciplines and encourage critical writing that challenges conventional expectations of meaning and objectivity as well as the boundaries between the rational and subjective. Art Currents is a non-profit 501(c)3 and is under the Direction of Holly Crawford.

September 2008 marks the date in which the AC Institute took on a physical location, the AC [Direct] I and II spaces and the AC [Chapel] space in Chelsea. In its inaugural season the AC has: had 10 openings, one per month, which represents 25 individual shows (approximately 2-4 solo shows per exhibition); offered 5 live performance special events; participated in the 2009 Armory show with 2 VIP projects; collaborated with over 50 artists; and worked with various cultural organizations towards promoting art-based projects, such as Rhizome, Harvestworks and Materials for the Arts. Press for the inaugural year include those in ArtCal/ArtCat, Chelsea Now, NY ArtBeat and various other online reviews. We provide our spaces(550 square foot video space complete with benched seating), regular press/programming support, some A/V equipment (5.1 sound system, single channel video projector, etc.) and upload to various online archives/announcements, including but not limited to: Artslant.com, Artipedia.org and Artfacts.net. Please see our website for more information: www.artcurrents.org.

AC Institute [Direct Chapel]
547 West 27th St, 5th Floor - #519, 529 and North Alcove
New York, NY 10001 www.artcurrents.org / email: info at artcurrents.org Gallery Hours: Wed, Fri & Sat: 1-6pm, Thurs: 1-8pm