[artinfo] calls The Patching Zone 2010

sam nemeth sam.nemeth at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 02:41:05 CEST 2009

The Patching Zone: real projects for real people

Call for students, young artists and designers to participate in
three projects in 2010.

The Patching Zone is a unique opportunity for international and Dutch
students/artists/designers who want to expand their experience and
knowledge exponentially. The Patching Zone produces innovative small
scale sustainable projects in real situations with real people using
the processpatching-method that facilitates trans disciplinary
collaboration. Be part of the Patching Zone team and work for a year
on one of our projects. The Patching Zone will assist with looking
for temporary housing and the team members receive a modest fee.

The projects -all starting January 2010:

* Digital Art Lab. location: Zoetermeer (The Hague area)
Research question: what should the new art courses for the digital
generation look like?
reality, performing arts, music, peer 2 peer learning
The project focuses on the connection with young people, the digital
generation, and aims to provide them with a digital art lab in the
former theatre space of CKC (local culture and art centre) . The
training will be built around small digital projects and will result
in a cross-media performance, all in close collaboration with the
staff of the centre and the users.
Runtime: January through December 2010, applications for 1 or 2
semesters accepted.

* Recycle-X-. location: Dordrecht (Rotterdam area)
Research question: how can we gear up the former main street of
Dordrecht towards becoming a sustainable cultural axis of the town?
interventions, wearable technology, art and culture industry

A project in collaboration with local organisations that consists of
a series of ecological interventions against gentrification and a
number of workshops focusing on recycling and urban design that
ultimately leads to a practice based plan for the 'cultural main
structure' in the centre of Dordrecht. A small team will initiate
several highly visible yet subtle performances that stimulate the
general public to rethink their cultural paradigm in respect to their
direct cultural environment. For students with a background in site
specific interventions, urban planning, ecology, anthropology,
wearable technology, cultural industry and social studies, Recycle X
will be especially relevant.
Runtime: January through July 2010.

* Living Lab Rotterdam South (Rotterdam area)
Research question: how can we create a living lab node in the
southern part of Rotterdam? How can we use the lab to mature creative
talent of young people in the neighbourhood and provide training for
careers in gaming, multimedia design, dancing, rapping, music
(creative industry)? How can we stimulate and support cultural
entrepreneurship?
lab, creative entrepreneurship, creative industry, art and culture

The Big South project moves on where Go-for-IT!, the citygame The
Patching zone is currently producing in Rotterdam Zuid, stops. A
Digital Lab will be built where a major end-event will be produced,
together with our partners and young people from the area. For the
Big South project The Patching Zone invites Ma- and PhD students to
respond.
Runtime: January through December 2010,

Jury
All applications will be reviewed and juried based on its (discipline
specific) quality, expertise about the field, the motivation for
trans disciplinary collaboration and its creative approach towards
the theme.
The first round of selections will be done by an expert jury. In a
final round The Patching Zone core team and representatives of the
involved partners will review the pre-selected proposals for the team
composition and expertise matches.

detailed information as well as the application form on
www.patchingzone.net <http://www.patchingzone.net>