[artinfo] Designing Interactive Toys

Mediamatic Workshops workshops at mediamatic.net
Sat Oct 11 08:11:36 CEST 2008

   Designing Interactive Toys

   Go geeky: Build, hack, experiment, play and go wild!

   Design Interactive Toys is led by a star team that includes Alexandra
   Deschamps-Sonsino of Tinker (the company that brought the Arduino),
   part-time toy hacker Danja Vasiliev and physical computeer Dirk van
   Oosterbosch. Participants will intensely play with toys - using their
   hands, their concepts, and our soldering kits, sensors and experience.

   Workshop approach

   Participants learn about creative play and physical computing. They
   design new and exciting toys, and combine physical and digital
   qualities to make it happen.

   In the mornings, lectures and lessons bring in new perspectives, and
   interesting project presentations.
   Every afternoon the participants work on their own workshop projects.
   In four workshop days every participant will develop a prototype of a
   hybrid world media project, assisted by outstanding international
   trainers, lecturers and technical assistants. The workshop closes with
   a public presentation in which the issues are discussed and the
   results are shown.

   Trainers

   [1]Alexandra Deschamps - Sonsino from [2]Tinker.it is present as one
   of the trainers and lecturers. We are very pleased with her presence.
   Next to Alexandra we also have the outstanding technical qualities of
   Dirk van Oosterbosch and Danja Vasiliev to support the workshop. Their
   knowledge and experience are also very much needed during this
   workshop.

   Workshop tools

   As practical research tools the participants can use a variety of
   Arduino's (Diecimila, Bluetooth and Lilypad) with a collection of
   sensors and other (conductive) materials to play and experiment with.
   Please bring your own toys to play, experiment and hack with.

   Participants

   The workshop is designed for a maximum of 16 media makers, artists,
   designers and producers.
   All participants are assisted personally in realizing their workshop
   projects. Participants are not required to have specific technical
   knowledge of physical computing and new media, but affinity is
   important and recommended.

   Final results presented at the Cinekid Festival

   The results of the workshop will be presented during the Cinekid
   Festival.

   Price

   The price for this workshop is: eu 250 excl. VAT

   The price includes technical support and the use of equipment.

   Registration

   You can register online: [3]www.mediamatic.net/workshopregistration

   Where? When?

   Amsterdam, Mediamatic Bank, Vijzelstraat 68, Amsterdam (in the city
   centre)
   20th until 23rd of October 2008. We start daily at 9:30 a.m. and end
   around 5 p.m.

   MEDIAMATIC WORKSHOPS

   [T] +31 (0) 20 638 9901

   [F] +31 (0) 20 638 7969