[artinfo] antisocial notworking

geoff cox gcox at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue May 6 18:31:02 CEST 2008

ANTISOCIAL NOTWORKING
http://project.arnolfini.org.uk/antisocial/

'antisocial notworking' is a repository of projects that explore the
pseudo-agency of online social platforms. The concern is how the
Internet is increasingly charactised as a 'platform' (or collective
machine) for 'social' uses, but to question what is meant by the
terms in such descriptions. Although social networking platforms rely
on user-generated content, what is the nature of this participation?
What alternatives (or antitheses) can be identified?

We are looking to add examples of existing and new projects to our
'antisocial notworking' repository that address these themes in
uncompromising ways. To submit a project, go to:
http://project.arnolfini.org.uk/projects/2008/antisocial/form.php

The project is launched with a selection of existing projects,
including: Wayne Clements's 'logo_wiki' (2007); Linda Hilfling's
'Participation 0.0 - Part I' (2007); Ubermorgen.com, Alessandro
Ludovico, Paolo Cirio's 'Google Will Eat Itself' (2005) & 'Amazon
Noir' (2006).

Also featured is Rui Guerra's 'www_hack' (2008), a script installed
on the host site allowing all visitors to a single page to observe
each others mouse movements and to reflect on the server-client
relationship:
http://project.arnolfini.org.uk/www_hack/

'antisocial notworking' is launched on 1st May at Futuresonic 2008:
Urban Festival of Art, Music & Ideas, Manchester, UK.

Some notes on the project are here:
http://project.arnolfini.org.uk/projects/2008/antisocial/notes.php

The projects and other online resources are available as part of the
subdomain 'project.arnolfini' - an online experimental production and
management system:
http://project.arnolfini.org.uk