[artinfo] NIMk_AiR_summer and autumn call

Adele Eisenstein adele at c3.hu
Sun Mar 30 13:07:26 CEST 2008

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:56:08 +0100
From: Susanne Jaschko <susanne at nimk.nl>

Dear colleagues,
Please find attached the current call for our artist in residency programme
here at the NIMk. It would be great, if you could distribute this call through
your channels or forward it directly to artists who might benefit from such
opportunity.

Thanks a lot!
Su

--
Dr Susanne Jaschko
Senior Curator / AiR programme

Netherlands Media Art Institute
Keizersgracht 264
NL 1016 EV Amsterdam
T +31 (0)20 6237101
F +31 (0)20 6244423
E susanne at nimk.nl
http://www.nimk.nl

ARTIST in RESIDENCE [AiR] 2008 at the Netherlands Media Art Institute

OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

+ + DEADLINE: 15 APRIL 2008 + +

in brief:

*residency period from 2 to 5 months

*starting dates from June to November 2008

*location Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Netherlands Media Art Institute is pleased to announce an open call for
the summer and autumn 2008 period of its Artist in Residence (AiR) programme.

The AiR programme at the Netherlands Media Art Institute aims to support the
exploration and development of new work in digital/interactive/network media
and technology based arts practice. The residency provides time and resources
to artists in a supportive environment to facilitate the creation of new work.
We encourage a cross-disciplinary, hybrid and experimental approach. This is a
practice based residency designed to enable the development and/or completion
of a new work. Preferably the production is based on open source software.

The overall topic for the 2008 exhibition period at the NIMk is 'Democracy'.
In the light of this we particularly encourage proposals tackling societal
issues and supporting the idea of active participation, free speech and debate
in democratic society.
Please note that this focus is not obligatory and that other proposals are
welcome, too.

The Netherlands Media Art Institute offers an open environment with technical
assistance and an active advisory board which will give feedback and support
in technical, conceptual and presentation issues. There is access to studio
and exhibition equipment,
technical support from the Institute's staff and production help from interns.
The technical staff is specialized and has good contacts with programmers of
the following software, a.o.: PD/PDP, Blender, Dynebolic, Linux. We expect the
artist to have knowledge and insight in the technical realisation of the concept.

It is integral to the mission of the AiR program that artists participate in
presenting their work in a public form appropriate to their project. This can
include gallery installations, demonstrations of research in progress, panel
discussions, on-line projects, or multimedia performances, in addition to open
studio events and workshops. For this reason we ask that artists include in
their proposal possible examples of how they might like to present their work
publicly.

At this moment the Netherlands Media Art Institute provides in travel costs.
It doesn't provide accommodation for artists living outside of Amsterdam.
However, we are willing to help the search but cannot guarantee a place for
living.

We prefer applications via the NIMk website, using the application form. See
http://www.montevideo.nl/nl/onderzoek/aanvraagform.html

For further information please contact Susanne Jaschko at susanne at nimk.nl.

Netherlands Media Art Institute
Keizersgracht 264