[artinfo] The Evolutionary Girls Club

Adele Eisenstein adele at c3.hu
Sat Mar 8 18:16:11 CET 2008

From: erica eaton <spiraltri at hotmail.com>

Subject: [UNXposed] RE: calls for work/photo essays, articles, poetry...

The Evolutionary Girls Club is a group of artist, activists and scholars. Our
membership is made of of folks working in many media, but our work is heavily
informed by the discourses and histories of video art/new media.  You can read
more about us at www.evolutionarygirls.com.  Each year we publish a book that
focuses on the work of our members.  In addition we include featured artists
who have submitted works that can be connected to the conceptual theme for
that years book.  In the case of media/video artists these submissions might
be a series of stills from a video along with some writing about the work.
You may also choose to write an article or include a script from a video or
film.  To see last years book you can go to
http://www.amazon.com/LIMINAL-SPACES-BETWEEN-VISIBLE-INVISIBLE/dp/0615151175/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204659342&sr=8-5or
http://www.lulu.com/content/943266.  Click on preview.The theme and submission
procedures for our 08-09 book are described below.We tend to interpret themes
widely.  You may include a paragraph that locates your work within the theme
that would be printed at the start of your piece.

This past November (2007), Evolutionary Girls embarked on a group art tour
that presented a range of the collective's works in galleries in Malaysia and
Singapore. Hong Kong was also visited as part of the final stretch of the
journey, though not in an official capacity. Our commitment is to further the
conversations that surfaced during the visit, by addressing such issues as
transnationalism, transqueering, Americanisms, Asianisms, Europeanisms, Asians
in Africa, the rise of Asia, and by extension Islam, as the economic player on
the developing world's stage. We are interested in revisiting the 'voices'
that refuse to be muffled in this global expansion. (One such example is the
ongoing class/ethnic/religious tension articulated by Hindus in Kuala Lumpur.)
Collectives often serve as the public representations of the private self.
They define how we see and are seen in the complex web of social networks and
the systems that drive and organize them. How is the idea and practice of
collective shaped by the cultural and social polyglots of
gender/race/ethnicity/politics/tribal intersections,immigration, exile, and
language? Other themes to be explored can include but are not limited to
hybrid/hyphenated identities,cross-cultural production, performing culture,
and real world/virtual world disseminations of art and knowledge. How can we
connect to and communicate with one another? How/Why do fragmented, multiple,
or hybrid identities threaten the black and white of world order? Is a global
collectivity possible? What does it mean to be a member of a collective? How
does the collective empower or (dis) empower the individual? How are multiple
interpretations of a collective reconciled? Is organized dissent effective?
Our next book publication (2008-09), will focus on the creation and structure
of borders and voice in context with global and domestic relationships and of
how we define ourselves in these terrains as artists, educators, activists,
scholars and witnesses. It is our hope that, by facilitating these
discussions, we can explore how and where they overlap, share commonalities,
generate constructive conflict and demonstrate how we 'mind the gap.' We
welcome submissions on this broad range of topics and from all disciplines,
including visual artists, writers, performing artists,activists and scholars.
Postmarked Deadline is May 31, 2008.  We will notify you of acceptance by June
30.  You are invited to submit documents of up to 30 double-space pages for
essays, fiction, hybrid narratives, photo essays, scripts or longer
works/series of poetry. These submissions should be on a CD/DVD labeled
'submission for featured artist/writer' and your name and email.
Artists/Writers retain all rights/copyright to their work.   All materials
must be mailed and submitted on CD or DVD to:  Evolutionary Girls, 186
Henrietta Street, Rochester, NY 14620 (USA)
A $10 Production Fee in the form of a check or an $11 payment via paypal to
spiraltri at hotmail.com must also accompany the submission.  International
submissions ONLY may be done by email if you make arrangements. Please contact
Tara at t.smelt at mac.com. Nobody will be turned away for the inability to pay.
If you need to ask for a scholarship please email Erica at
spiraltri at hotmail.com to negotiate a work exchange.   Materials to include:
-Short bio (1 paragraph)  -1 image of yourself (300 dpi, no larger than 3x3',
RGB)  -Any images you might want with your work (same specs as with image of
yourself)  -artist/writers statement (a 1 page statement about your
work/philosophy/the concepts that preoccupy you/inform your work)  -Copy of
attached form (burnt to CD/DVD and a hard copy mailed with CD/DVD)  -You text
files (article, poetry, etc.).  All text files should be Word documents. Times
Roman,12 pt. font. If you are writing> scholarly articles please follow MLA
format and include proper citation and works cited. Poetry should be formatted
in the way that you want it to appear. If you are using a different font with
poetry for artistic purposes please specify that font.  Label all files with
yourlastnametitleofwork.theextention. So, forexample, it might be
Smithuntitled1.jpg or Smithbio.doc. Proceeds from the books go to support
Evolutionary Girls.Postmarked Deadline is May 31, 2008.Contact: Tara at
t.smelt at mac.com for further information/questions regarding specifications for
the book.