[artinfo] In Memoriam: Nan Hoover

imai - inter media art institute info at imaionline.de
Tue Jun 17 16:09:29 CEST 2008

In Memoriam: Nan Hoover

New York, 12th May 1932 - Berlin, 9th June, 2008

 In deep sadness we bid farewell to Nan Hoover.
She was one of the most important pioneers of
video and performance art.

For ten years (1986-1996) she enriched the
artistic scenery of Düsseldorf, succeeding Nam
June Paik at the academy of arts as a professor
for video and film.

Main intention of her art was to broaden our
perception, focus our attention, and open our
senses to beauty. Regardless of the media she
chose; photography, video, performance or
painting and drawing; light, stillness,
concentration and temporality have always been
important aspects of her work.

We were fortunate to accompany her artistic work
for more than 25 years. Encounters and joint
projects, productions and exhibitions with her
have been marked by great cordiality and ardent
dedication to art and inspirational dialog about
art. We will always keep these moments in living
memory.

Sandra Thomas, Director Foundation imai - inter media art institute

For the executive committee, the curator ship and
the co-workers of the foundation

imai - inter media art institute
Ehrenhof 2
40479 Düsseldorf