[artinfo] we feel fine ...

s|a|m sam at myspinach.org
Sun Jun 1 11:47:25 CEST 2008

an interesting example of creative passive surveillance on a mass scale!

http://www.wefeelfine.org/

Since August 2005, We Feel Fine has been harvesting human feelings
from a large number of weblogs. Every few minutes, the system
searches the world's newly posted blog entries for occurrences of the
phrases "I feel" and "I am feeling". When it finds such a phrase, it
records the full sentence, up to the period, and identifies the
"feeling" expressed in that sentence (e.g. sad, happy, depressed,
etc.). Because blogs are structured in largely standard ways, the
age, gender, and geographical location of the author can often be
extracted and saved along with the  sentence, as can the local
weather conditions at the time the sentence was written. All of this
information is saved.