[artinfo] SOCIETE REALISTE -- Activities in Berlin: January 2008

Ferenc Grof ferenc.grof at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:19:31 CET 2008

============================
COOPERATIVE SOCIETE REALISTE
============================

Activities in Berlin: January 2008.

TABLE

       i/ POLISTERIES

Friday 25 JAN, 20:00
a lecture presented at uqbar,
Schwedenstr. 16, Wedding, 13357 Berlin
www.uqbar-ev.de

       ii/ TRANSMEDIALE: Conspire...

Exhibition opening: Tuesday 29 JAN
Open through Sun 24 FEB 24.
Festival located at Haus der Kulturen der Welt,
John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10, 10557 Berlin
http://www.transmediale.de

       iii/ THE ARTIST, THE SCIENTIST AND THE INDUSTRIAL

Thursday 31 JAN, 15:30
a lecture at the Bilderberg Salon
within the frame of Transmediale
Haus der Kulturen der Welt,
John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10, 10557 Berlin
http://www.transmediale.de

CONTENT: POLISTERIES
Lecture

A stere is an old measurement unit, coming from the greek -stereos-, which
means "a volume of solid matter". Societe Realiste will use this notion to
relate,
> on one hand, the work established by its MINISTERE DE L'ARCHITECTURE
(http://www.societerealiste.net/#MA) about blocks as a perception unit
(see MA: Volksballast der Republik); membranes as a territorial device
between various kind of steres  (see: MA: Deuxième Contact); the
relation between a practical discipline and a work volume (see:
MA:Volksballast der Republik (The Seminar))
> on the other, the exploration of "steres of utopia" by "Le Producteur",
the 2008 political transitions collection of Societe Realiste's Trend
Bureau TRANSITIONERS.

Friday 25 JAN, 20:00
uqbar
Schwedenstr. 16, Wedding, 13357 Berlin
T +49.30.46069107
projectspace (at) uqbar-ev.de
www.uqbar-ev.de

CONTENT: TRANSMEDIALE - Conspire...
Exhibition

Transmediale: CONSPIRE… the transmediale exhibition, guest curated by
Natasa Petresin-Bachelez, focuses on the strategic notion of the
conspiratorial act. In poetic reference to the term's Latin roots,
conspirare, the exhibition deconstructs the nature of conspiracy into a
silent and cosmic act of 'collective breathing' suggesting a sharply
targeted, yet anonymous and intimate form of creative collaboration. The
works and projects chosen approach the perceptive borders of our daily
lives with coded instructions, exploratory maps and speculative allusions
which provoke alternative views about the way in which we understand
information and what we believe to be universal truths. As such, thematic
constructs around the notions of conspiratorial truths, bio-organic
systems and twisted realities emerge from the contextualising clusters
explored within the exhibition.

Featuring works by:

Julieta Aranda, Ur¹ula Berlot, Lene Berg, Egle Budvytyte, Bureau d'Etudes,
Alain Declerc, Alban Hajdinaj, Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige, Ilana
Halperin, Norimichi Hirakawa, Janez Jan¹a, Christoph Keller, Hassan Khan,
Kimsooja, Olga Kisseleva, Knowbotic Research, Julius Koller, Mangelos,
Alice Miceli, Laurent Montaron, Matt O'dell, Trevor Paglen, Lisa Parks,
Marko Peljhan, Tobias Putrih, Peter Sandbichler, SilentCell Network,
Société Réaliste, Einar Thorsteinn, Ykon, Artur Zmijewski,

Exhibition opening: Tuesday 29 JAN
Open through Sun 24 FEB 24.
Festival located at Haus der Kulturen der Welt,
John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10, 10557 Berlin
http://www.transmediale.de

CONTENT: THE ARTIST, THE SCIENTIST AND THE INDUSTRIAL
Lecture

Invited for the Transmediale 08 : Conspire exhibition, the cooperative
Société Réaliste will present the 2008 collection of Transitioners, its
political trends design bureau. This collection, entitled Le Producteur,
is inspired by major utopist thinkers of the first three decades of the
19th century, such as Fourier, Enfantin, Rodrigues, Cabet, Owen, or
Saint-Simon. Their role as theoritical activists in the first stage of the
industrial revolution has been central and still nourishes our common
political, social and economical representations. Indeed, inventing what
could be nowadays called political design, they managed to melt
problematics coming from fields as different as politics, culture,
spirituality, industrialism or science. They have proposed programs for
transforming modern societies, partly realized, partly still at the basis
of current political critical theory.

For its intervention at the Bilderberg Salon, Société Réaliste will come
back to the exemple of the saint-simonians, inventors of the concept of
avant-garde artist. In his 1825's essay entitled "The artist, the
scientist and the industrial" (L'artiste, le savant et l'industriel), one
of their key philosopher, Olinde Rodrigues, explains that considering "the
power of the arts as indeed the most immediate" in order to reform, every
rational society should place the artist next to the scientist to pilot
the pioneering social machine. The work of most of these utopian thinkers
had been to determine how to improve the industrial society, how to make
it peaceful, how to design it as a perfectly balanced and dynamic system.
The stake of this intervention is to try to understand how utopian
strategies and techniques are still used in order to pilot the social
machine.

Thursday 31 JAN, 15:30
Bilderberg Salon
Transmediale
Haus der Kulturen der Welt,
John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10, 10557 Berlin
http://www.transmediale.de

SOCIETE REALISTE
Ferenc Gróf / Jean-Baptiste Naudy
intelligence at societerealiste.net