[artinfo] Piet Zwart Institute - Call for Applications

Art&Education edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com
Fri Dec 5 16:24:59 CET 2008

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:

MA Fine Art - Piet Zwart Institute

Application Deadline: January 1, 2009

Institute for Postgraduate
Studies and Research
Willem de Kooning Academy /
Rotterdam University

<
http://www.pzwart.nl> http://www.pzwart.nl

The Programme:

The Fine Art programme at the Piet Zwart Institute is based on an
understanding of contemporary art as embedded within a larger field
of cultural, social and political practices. It encourages critical
discourse on artistic practice and places an emphasis on
self-reflection and analysis. Furthermore, public interaction is
given a special focus, inciting participants to connect with
practitioners outside of the Piet Zwart Institute and present their
works to general audiences.

Our English-taught two-year Master degree programme provides an
international platform in which artists can develop their practice
through independent studio work as well as a lively dialogue with
artists, curators and theorists from a diversity of disciplines: art,
theatre, literature, philosophy, film, and others. Our students,
faculty members and guests come from a variety of different
countries: Canada, Germany, Great-Britain, Israel, Lebanon, the
Netherlands, New-Zealand, Rumania, Turkey, the United States, among
many others, providing participants in our programme a truly
international experience.

We offer generous studio space and a variety of technical facilities,
including editing suites, photo labs, workshops for typography, wood,
plastics and ceramics, etc. Students receive very strong individual
tutorial support with weekly studio visits by both regular staff and
guests. Furthermore, we offer a challenging programme of annually
changing thematic projects, exhibitions, seminars, excursions and
public lectures that provide a broad framework for the exploration of
issues relevant to contemporary culture and society. The small size
of the programme (20-25 students) makes for intensive and focussed
discussions and allows for close interactions between the course
director, faculty members, guests, and students, creating a very
special community around Piet Zwart Insitute.

The Faculty:

Our faculty and guests are practitioners in contemporary art and
culture with a very active professional practice. They include Ulf
Aminde (artist), Liesbeth Bik (member of Rotterdam-based artist duo
BikvanderPol), Marc Camille Chaimowicz (artist), Diedrich
Diederichsen (writer), Anselm Franke (co-curator of Manifesta7 in
Trento), Mika Hannula (writer and curator), Hila Peleg Franke
(co-curator of Manifesta7 in Trento), Dieter Roelstraete (writer,
associate editor of Afterall), Jalal Toufic (artist, writer), Jan
Verwoert (art critic), among many others. For further information on
our faculty and guests, please see
<http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/fama/staff/>www.pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/fama/staff/.

The Public Lecture Series:

In addition to our curriculum, we organize an ongoing public lecture
series based on issues related to the curriculum, but reaching beyond
the framework of the seminars. The public lectures are an important
ressource for students, tutors and guests, serving as bridge to the
city and building a community around areas of interests. Recent
lecture series have dealt with "Notions of Storytelling" (curated by
Uqbar Foundation), "The Heroic" (curated by Maxine Kopsa),
"Speechless: The Proximity of Gesture, Philosophy and Cinema"
(curated by Hadley+Maxwell), "The Monstrous at Play" (curated by
Felix Ensslin), among others. Please see<
http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/fama/public/>
http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/fama/public/ for further information on our
lecture series.

Information:

For application forms and further information on our curriculum or
public programme, please see< http://www.pzwart.nl>
http://www.pzwart.nl or contact us at fineart at pzi.wdka.nl.

Piet Zwart Institute

Mauritsstraat 36