[artinfo] Flaka Haliti: Balls! Balls! Balls! at Stacion

Albert Heta albertheta at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 23:44:25 CEST 2008

Stacion Center for Contemporary Art Prishtina

Flaka Haliti: Balls! Balls! Balls!
Curatorial by Albert Heta

4 April 2008 – 4 May 2008
Opening: 4 April 2008, 19:00hrs

Artist talk
11 April 2008, 19:00hrs

Stacion Center for Contemporary Art Prishtina is proud
to present the exhibition Balls! Balls! Balls! with
artist Flaka Haliti, a curatorial by Albert Heta.

Balls! Balls! Balls! is a show about balls and
histories.

During the opening of the last Muslim Mulliqi Art
Prize, curated by a she-curator form Albania, Flaka
Haliti made the first illegal intervention in the
white box in this scene (I would love if there would
be an art historian to say to me that this is not the
first work of this kind in this scene!).

Her action was: the entrance in the gallery space
during the official opening, placement in the corner
of the gallery space of a number
of livestock balls, decorated as a present, and the
walk out form the gallery space.

In this subtle and courageous action lays the value of
this entire exhibition which was later criticized
publicly even by one participating artist.
But this exhibition and it's curator was never the
main subject of this work. My view is that in many
ways this work is yet another fresh cut away from the
practices of the young contemporary artist working in
Kosova.

Balls! Balls! Balls! is about the history of this
action, the players involved, distributed histories
and the artist.

Balls! Balls! Balls! it is also about histories untold
or censored.

Flaka Haliti is a young artist part of the new
generation of contemporary artists working in
Prishtina that surfaced with their work during past
few years. With her work Flaka Haliti has shown a
continuous interest and courage in exploring themes
that present a challenge for our society or lately the
art scene.

Albert Heta