[artinfo] Exhibition_I.ESKINJA_MMSU

MMSU mmsu-rijeka at ri.t-com.hr
Fri May 11 13:01:54 CEST 2007

Exhibition

IGOR ESKINJA  Imagineering

11 May - 3 June 2007

Museum of modern and contemporary art

Mali salon, Korzo 24, Rijeka, Croatia

Curators: Branko Franceschi, Natasa Ivancevic

"The frozen scenes from the photographs by Igor Eskinja are the objectification of a complex split where a graphic quality of our perception does not guarantee that what we see is truly signifying some real content. Eskinja's coinage imagineering, the only content of the homonymous work, certainly provides the best explanation as to how the visual simplicity of his procedure is basically a mindful critique of the mediation of reality and the civilization that consents to be manipulated by the same mediation. Connotatively, the coinage is a high-octane fusion of two opposing notions that inveterately also present two almost opposed qualities. A word imagine designates the noblest basis of the creativity, which most often implies its subjective, i.e. artistic quality. On the other hand, a word engineering signifies the cold, calculated and objectively-based technical i.e. scientific creativity, that is always understood more as a job than as a vocation. The coinage is understood as an expanded form, almost elucidation, of a contemporary meaning of a notion image.

Branko Franceschi, from the catalogue

MUZEJ MODERNE I SUVREMENE UMJETNOSTI
MUSEUM OF MODERN AND CONTEMPORARY ART
Dolac 1/II, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
tel. ++385 (0)51 334 280, 335 252; fax 330 982
e-mail:mmsu-rijeka at ri.t-com.hr
www.mmsu.hr