[artinfo] new projects 2007 / 1

Adam Somlai-Fischer adam at aether.hu
Sat Apr 28 15:11:36 CEST 2007

Aleph Reorganizing Vision
in collaboration with Bengt Sjölén, shown at Belsay Hall, UK
Opening next wednesday, open until September 07.

http://www.aether.hu/aleph

Aleph is an experimental public display, built from 200 Citroen ZX
electric mirrors, using the spaces, people and objects it faces as a
palette it displays messages from hidden viewpoints. When looking at
a small mirror, it reflects a fraction of the space around us, when
looking at a mirror façade, it reflects most things around us,
containing segments that are dark or bright, red or green. If we
build a matrix of small mirrors, which can adjust their tilt
according to the site they are facing, we can create a display that
uses the ever changing flux of the place to show images from certain
points in space.

Next week there will be a discussion, called digital dinner, in the
context of DOTT
Project curated by Juha Huuskonen, and Judith King.
Nextlab has been helping us in the production.

Reconfigurable House
in collaboration with Usman Haque, remixed from Reorient,
shown at NTT ICC Tokyo until 2008 March.
Curated by Yukiko Shikata. More information:

http://house.propositions.org.uk

The Reconfigurable House is an environment constructed from low tech
components that can be "rewired" by visitors. The project is a
critique of "smart homes", which are based on the idea that
technology should be invisible to prevent DIY.
Smart homes actually aren't very smart simply because they are pre-
wired according to algorithms and decisions made by designers of the
systems, rather than the people who occupy the houses.

The House is partly a remix of Reorient, Hungary's project for the
2006 Architecture Biennale in Venice, that has partly been based on
our Low Tech handbook. All creative commons licensed, all derivative
works from each other, and so Reconfigurable House is also available
for download and remix as well.

Kitchen Budapest
the spicy innovation lab, powered by Magyar Telekom

http://www.kitchenbudapest.org

Kitchen Budapest, opening in May 2007, is a new media lab for young
researchers who are interested in the convergence of
mobile communication, online communities and urban space and are
passionate about creating experimental projects in cross-disciplinary
teams.

We are working hard in the production team of the new lab, and Adam
Somlai-Fischer will continue to contribute to KIBU as the program
director. There will be residency openings in the coming months,
please contact the KIBU if you might be interested.

Wifi Camera
in collaboration with Usman Haque and Bengt Sjölén
2007 January we did new wifi scans of London:

http://wificamera.propositions.org.uk

Wifi Camera reveals the electromagnetic space of our devices and the
shadows that we create within such spaces, in particular our wifi
networks which are increasingly found in coffee shops, offices and
homes throughout cities of the developed world. We will take real
time"photos" of wifi space.