[artinfo] Plagiarism?

Peter Svedberg peter.svedberg at comhem.se
Mon Apr 23 19:36:37 CEST 2007

 <http://mutanen.se/peter/bt/info.htm> Plagiarism?

Is it ethically and morally justifiable for Moderna Museet to purchase an
artwork by a hyped-up, international artist when the museum's collection
already long since includes a similar work by another artist? I am
represented in the Moderna Museet collection with two large works, "
Tellus Digitalis" and "Dutch Tile". Moderna Museet in Stockholm has never
exhibited "Tellus Digitalis", but has now chosen instead to purchase an
artwork by Olafur Eliasson that is strikingly similar to my piece.

MM naturally has the right to decide for itself what works to purchase and
exhibit, but the problem is that its prioritising is having an adverse
effect on my artistic integrity. The resulting situation is such that
countless people of late have commented how my works are so similar to those
of Olafur Eliasson, when in actual fact the opposite is true. I have worked
with this theme since the late 80's, in other words at least 10 years before
Olafur Eliasson's works appeared, for which he in part would later become
famous. Furthermore, due to the fact that "Tellus Digitalis" has never been
exhibited at Moderna Museet, I have never been offered a reasonable chance
of competing on equal terms. This has increasingly become a burden to me,
and I hereby demand redress.

Peter Svedberg
Stockholm , April 14, 2007

www.petersvedberg.com <http://www.petersvedberg.com/>