[artinfo] Interface and Society: conference, performances and exhibition

by way of Janos Sugar eb at anart.no
Fri Oct 13 21:26:12 CEST 2006

INTERFACE and SOCIETY investigates artistic practices and strategies
that deal with the transformation of our everyday
life through electronic interfaces.

CONFERENCE: 10th and 11th of November
EXHIBITION: 10th to 19th of November
PERFORMANCES AND EXHIBITION OPENING: 10th of November at 20h
PLACE: Henie Onstad Kunstsenter, Oslo, Norway

See http://www.anart.no for detailed information.

+

CONFERENCE 10TH AND 11TH OF NOVEMBER

Erich Berger (at/fi) -  Interface and Society
Bruce Sterling (us/cs) - Spime: a map of ideas
Susanne Jaschko (de) - On the virtuality of public space
Laura Beloff (fi) -  Not imagined, it is real
Per Platou (no) - Failure is success (is failure)
Truls Lie (no) - On Guattaris concept of the "machin" as
the mental and social apparatus that directs our everyday praxis
Adam Greenfield (us) - Everyware: Some thoughts on the social
and ethical implications of ubiquitous computing.
Artificial Paradise (uk) - Instruction Sets
Marius Watz (no/de) - It`s all about the software, baby
Sabine Seymour (at/us) - The Epidermis as Interface,
Dynamic Textile Surfaces

See schedule, ticket information and lecture abstracts at http://www.anart.no

PERFORMANCES AND EXHIBITION OPENING FRIDAY 10TH OF NOVEMBER AT 20H

Art by Accident (Kalle Grude, Jan Løchstøer) (no)
Franz Alken and Karl Rueskaefer (de/uk)
Artificial Paradise (uk)
Norene Leddy (with technical lead Andrew Milmoe) (us)
Agnes Meyer-Brandis (de)
Silver
Daniel Skoglund (se)
Leonardo Solaas (ar)
Marius Watz (no/de)

See detailed information on the performances and
exhibition at http://www.anart.no

+

INTERFACE AND SOCIETY
In our everyday life we constantly have to cope more or less
successfully with interfaces. We use the mobile phone, the mp3 player,
and our laptop, in order to gain access to the digital part of our life.
In recent years this situation has lead to the creation of new
interdisciplinary subjects like Interaction Design or Physical Computing.

Currently we live between two worlds, our physical environment and the
digital space. Technology and its digital space are our second nature
and the interfaces are our points of access to this techno sphere.

This division will dissolve into a seamless distribution of information
technology into most aspects of our life, advertised as ubiquitous
computing. Immaterial information and physical objects will fuse into an
Internet of Things. Our world will transform into an interface as a whole.

Since artists started working with technology they have been developing
interfaces and modes of interaction. The interface itself became an
artistic thematic in its technical, social and political dimensions.

INTERFACE and SOCIETY investigates artistic strategies and practices which
deal with and build upon the transformation of our everyday life through
information technology and electronic interfaces.

With the rapid technological development a thoroughly critique of the
interface towards society is necessary. The contribution of the artist
thereby is relevant. S/he takes the freedom to deal with technologies
beyond form, function and usability. The utilisation of an eclectic range
of strategies and practices guaranties a diversity of results.

+

Interface and Society is produced by Atelier Nord in collaboration with
Henie Onstad Kunstsenter and Le Monde Diplomatique (Nordic Edition).
Supported by Arts Council Norway and Freedom of Expression Foundation,
Oslo. Trolleys provided by ISS Lufthavnservice AS

+

See http://www.anart.no for detailed information.