[artinfo] Deadline Approaching! Call for Shorts

stephaniemartz stephanie at microcinema.com
Fri Nov 17 09:24:50 CET 2006

Independent Exposure 2007

An international touring exhibition of moving image art
Presented by Microcinema International
Curators: Microcinema International
Judge: Hal Hartley
Deadline: Postmarked by December 15, 2006
Screenings: worldwide
•Grand Prize: Panasonic AG-DVX100B 1/3" 3-CCD 24P/30P/60i DV Cinema
Camera - $5,000 value
•Second Prize: To be announced ($1000 value)
•Third Prize: Selection of DVDs from Microcinema International DVD
($500 value)
Entry Fee: US$5.00 PER entry
Online submission form: www.microcinema.com/submissionform2.php
More information write: submissionsatmicrocinema.com

Independent Exposure 2007
The 12th Season
A Worldwide Microcinema Screening Program of International Short
Films, Videos and Digital Works
�Independent Exposure is one of those cool and vital efforts at
curatorship which helps new films get seen by audiences who seek out
new forms of entertainment. Microcinema does a great job of pulling
together exciting new work and I look forward to being the judge for
the 2007 season.�
•Hal Hartley
Since its inception in 1996, Independent Exposure has gained an
enviable reputation as an important showcase for contemporary,
progressive, artistic, and culturally relevant short films and videos.
Each Independent Exposure program is thoughtfully curated to present
diverse and eclectic works in a relevant and intentional context. The
curatorial aesthetic is further supported by the presentation of the
Independent Exposure series in non-traditional venues or
"microcinemas" such as galleries, cafes, bars, nightclubs, outdoors,
and other alternative spaces that support the independent arts. To
date, Independent Exposure has been presented hundreds of times in 43
countries plus Palestine and Antarctica and a base camp on Mt. Everest.
Beyond our San Francisco and Houston events, screenings in 2007 will
include New York, Berlin, London, Paris and Baghdad, to name a few.
Independent Exposure has been featured on National Public Radio and
Channel 4 (U.K.) and in Wired Magazine, New York Times, San Francisco
Chronicle, Houston Press, Utne Reader, Filmmaker Magazine, Movie Maker
Magazine, and many other international press outlets.
2007 will also see the launch of the Independent Exposure Podcast and
the program will be presented across multiple online and mobile
platforms. Mobile Exposure 2007's Call for Works will be issued near
the end of August 2006.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
For our Independent Exposure 2007 compilation series we are
considering short video, film and digital-media submissions of 15
minutes or less and are seeking narrative, humorous, dramatic,
animation, documentary, experimental, alternative, avant-garde,
ambient, music videos, erotic, queer, and underground works of all
genres and styles.
Must be 15 minutes or less, including all titles and credits...NO
EXCEPTIONS!
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES and CHECKLIST see our Submission FAQ
see the Submission Checklist
You must fill out the online form found here: Submission Form (for all
calls).
FEES: US$5.00 payable by check, money or credit card/Paypal online.
Please send check with submission or PAY ONLINE.
Please send us your screeners on VHS, CD, miniDV, or DVD, readable on
PC. PAL or NTSC accepted for screeners.
For exhibition we will require works on mini-DV or data DVD discs with
avi or mov files only. MiniDV PAL or NTSC OK - data files MUST be in
NTSC.
A brief synopsis of the work(s) and a short biography of the artists
of up to 50 words maximum is also requested. Still .jpeg or .gif (PC
formatted) should be included on a CD along with biographical
materials and synopses.
Please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard that we will send
back to you as indication of reception of your film.
ALL SUBMITTED ITEMS (papers, DVDs, tapes, cards, etc) MUST HAVE THE
ARTIST NAME, NAME OF THE WORK, AND CONTACT INFORMATION PRINTED CLEARLY.
Deadline: December 15, 2006 (postmarked)
Please mail all submissions to:
Independent Exposure 2006
c/o Microcinema International
1528 Sul Ross
Houston, TX 77006
USA
+1-415-447-9750
FAX: +1-509-351-1530
Please address all inquiries to:
Stephanie Martz, Director of Independent Exposure
submissions(at)microcinema.com
An email notification will confirm the receipt of your on-line form.
Please enclose a self-addressed post card and we will send it back to
you when we receive the submission. We will pay for postage.
SCREENINGS AND AWARDS:
The Microcinema Curatorial Team of Joel S. Bachar, Patrick
Kwiatkowski, and Stephanie Martz will curate 5 programs (approximately
60 minutes in length) that will then tour throughout 2007. Each
program premieres at our "home microcinema" in San Francisco at 111
Minna Gallery. Selections will be announced by January 31, 2007.
Selected artists receive a US$50 honorarium and will be eligible for
our awards program.
Hal Hartley to judge Independent Exposure 2007, Curate "best-of",
Panasonic Grand Prize.
We are pleased to announce our continuing collaboration with Panasonic
Broadcast. For our 2006 Independent Exposure season, a grand prize
will be awarded to a filmmaker selected by United Kingdom audiovisual
artists and VJs ADDICTIVE TV www.addictive.com. The grand prize will
be a Panasonic AG-DVX100B 1/3" 3-CCD 24P/30P/60i DV Cinema Camera.
Other prizes include:
•Grand Prize: Panasonic AG-DVX100B 1/3" 3-CCD 24P/30P/60i DV Cinema
Camera valued at $5000.
•Second Prize: 15" Hanspree Designer TV, as well as a selection of
DVDs from Microcinema International DVD valued at $1,000.
•Third Prize: will be a selection of DVDs from Microcinema
International DVD valued at $500.
Hal Hartley will curate a "Best of Independent Exposure 2007" which
will then screen in San Francisco, Houston, and other worldwide
locations to be determined during the fall of 2007. Hal Hartley also
will select the prizewinners. A DVD will be made of the "Best of
Independent Exposure 2007" program, and will be released by the
Blackchair Collection, Microcinema's DVD label.
Prize winners will be selected and notified by July 1, 2006.
TERMS see Full Terms
Upon acceptance, practitioners will be awarded a $50 honorarium.
Artists will be contacted by Microcinema International regarding the
exposure of works through festival exhibition, online screenings,
promotional materials, and on print media (prints/catalogues) for
gallery showings. All filmmakers agree, when submitting, that they
have secured the necessary rights to screen the works in this touring
festival, and that Microcinema is granted a non-exclusive, 5-year
license to screen work(s) at any one of Microcinema's Independent
Exposure 2007 or Mobile Exposure 2007 screening tours and
Microcinema's on-line festival website as well as on
www.microcinema.com and www.independentexposure.com for promotional,
archival and other non-commercial uses. All artists retain copyrights.
Artists selected for the "Best of Independent Exposure 2007" program
will receive a DVD distribution contract.
About Hal Hartley and Possible Films www.possiblefilms.com
Hal Hartley, who has lived in New York City since graduating from the
State University of New York at Purchase in 1984, has recently
relocated to Berlin, Germany. He has just completed shooting his
newest feature, FAY GRIM , throughout Europe and Southern Asia with
Parker Posey, Tom Ryan, Jeff Goldblum, James Urbaniak and others.
Hartley won the Young Filmmakers Award at the 1994 Tokyo International
Film Festival for his film AMATEUR (1994), which was also premiered at
the Cannes Director's Fortnight of that year. Retrospectives of his
work have been presented at The Rotterdam Festival in 1992 and Gijon,
Spain, in 2003. He won the Best Screenplay award at Cannes in 1998 for
his film HENRY FOOL (1997) and best screenplay at Sundance in 1991 for
TRUST (1990).
Hartley was made a Chevalier of arts and letters by the Republic of
France in 1997 and taught filmmaking at Harvard University from
September 2001 till May 2004. Shortly thereafter, he was awarded a
fellowship by the American Academy in Berlin.
The soon to be released book: "TRUE FICTION PICTURES & POSSIBLE FILMS"
is a series of in-depth interviews between the filmmaker and Kenneth
Kaleta, critic, historian, and educator.
About Microcinema International
Microcinema International is a leading international distributor,
exhibitor and rights manager of the "moving image arts".
Microcinema specializes in the acquisition and distribution of
independently produced moving image works of an artistic and
socially-relevant nature.
International in scope, Microcinema's catalog of short and long form
media includes art film and video, music-driven visuals, ambient
media, works about art and artists, and documentaries representative
of current global issues and artistic trends.