[artinfo] Local Democracy Symposium - Budapest July 26-28, AND Baltimore August 3, 2006

Steven Clift clift at publicus.net
Sat Jun 24 19:59:04 CEST 2006

*** Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://DoWire.Org ***

    To access links, see Steven Clift's blog:  http://dowire.org/notes/?p=227

Post: Conference - International e-Participation
and Local Democracy Symposium - Budapest July
26-28, AND Baltimore August 3, 2006

Come one. Come all.

As a follow up to the first symposium in
Minneapolis last year (on-demand webcast now
available - http://dowire.org/localedem ), this
year a two part event in Budapest, Hungary (July
26-28, 499 Euros) and Baltimore, Maryland (August
3, $99) will take place.

These will be great events for information-age
democracy builders to connect and network. This
year I am chairing the "E-Citizen" panel in
Baltimore which will feature real stories from
the front lines of e-democracy.  The draft
Budapest agenda is available and I know in
Baltimore, the Deliberative Democracy Consortium
is helping organize a few of the panel sessions.
I'll post any updates that come across my desk to
the new Local E-Democracy Exchange online group
mentioned just below.

The full details on the symposium see (see below for more text):

      http://www.edemocracysymposium.org

If you are interested in local e-democracy, join
the proposed Local E-Democracy Exchange (LEX)
right now:

      http://groups.dowire.org/groups/local

Initially, I'll use it to share further public
updates I am forwarded from this year's symposium
organizers.

I'd like to see the LEX online community of
practice get launch at the symposiums. With
periodic guest presentations via
teleconferences/webinars, we'd connect at least
500 local government and civil society
e-democracy/e-participation practitioners around
the world real knowledge sharing. This knowledge
sharing will be supported by e-mail/web online
discussions, document sharing, and the
increasingly popular "who's who" function built
into DoWire Groups.

While I am a big fan of in-person conferences, if
we are to be serious about helping the civil
servants and citizen groups implementing
e-democracy locally around the world, the
organizations building e-democracy with resources
will need to join us and support this idea.  In
my opinion, well promoted and facilitated two-way
online information exchange will lead to bigger
and bigger traditional e-democracy networking
events and conferences in countries around the
world. If you know of groups with funding that
should chip in to make make the LEX happen, drop
them a note about the Local E-Democracy Exchange
proposal or share your advice and contacts with
me so we can make this happen: clift at publicus.net

Below are more details on the Budapest and
Baltimore symposiums from their website.

Sincerely,
Steven Clift
http://dowire.org

P.S. If you can't quite decide about whether to
attend the conferences, watch the just released
webcasts from last year to help convince you.
See: http://dowire.org/localedem

From:
http://www.edemocracysymposium.org

e-Participation, Social Inclusion, Democratic Engagement:

The Next Big e-Agenda has Arrived

Citizen Centric e-Government:  The UN is talking
about it.  The EU and Council of Europe are
talking about it.  Governments around the world
are grappling with it.

But what is it – simply allowing citizens to
conduct their business with government online?
Or, using the power of IT to radically reengineer
the relationship between citizens and government?

What´s really happening – merely hosting a few
online consultations to talk to the usual
suspects?  Or, deploying technology in new and
innovative ways to ensure that even the hardest
to reach groups are included?

What´s really coming next – a few isolated
initiatives?  Or, a new global policy agenda that
will radically redefine the way we have all come
to think about ?eGovernment.´

This summer, senior government officials from
central and local government, NGO´s from around
the world and leading eGovernment experts will
come together to discuss the evolving
relationship between eGovernment and
eParticipation and to critically re-examine the
way in which ?readiness´ in these areas is
defined and measured globally.

To ensure genuine international input from every
level of government and all key sectors,
participants will have the opportunity to attend
the Symposium in either Budapest or Baltimore.

The Budapest Symposium will set the stage for
discussion and debate around the critical
challenges stakeholders face as they struggle to
deliver the full potential of e-Government.

The Baltimore Symposium will be a 1 day event on
the 3 August, which will take the findings of
Budapest and explore them at greater depth in the
country that has pioneered the art of online
campaigning but now faces the challenge of
translating e-advocacy tools into more inclusive
governing.

Help shape the debate by participating in these
highly timely and dynamic events.  Topics will
break outside the conventional conference agenda
to critically re-examine the impact of technology
on citizen-centric government as we know it.
Plenary panels and small group sessions will
highlight key democracy activities from all
levels of government and society.

If you are interested in exploring new approaches
to governance and citizen participation in the
new information age then this conference is for
you.

KEY PARTNERS:

·      UK Department for Communities and Local Government
·      United Nations – Department of Economic and Social Affairs
·      Council of Europe
·      National Association of Secretaries of State, USA
·      International Centre of Excellence for
Local eDemocracy (www.edemocracy.gov.uk)

PARTNERS: (in alphabetical order)

·	American Association of People with Disabilities
·       AmericaSpeaks
·	Association of Central and Eastern European Election Officials
·       Association of Electoral Administrators
·       De Montfort University
·       National Association of State Election Directors, USA
·       North Lincolnshire Council
·       Politech Institute
·       Public Forum Institute
·       Swindon Borough Council
·       University of Maryland, Baltimore County

Budapest Agenda

Engaging and Encouraging the Participation of All Citizens - Budapest

DAY ONE
Welcome Plenary - Setting the scene and Launching
the International Centre of Excellence for
Democracy
Coffee
Research Presentation Findings Plenary – The
Results and Findings of a Comparative Study into
e-Democracy at Municipal Level in Europe and
North America
Cocktail Reception

DAY TWO
Morning Plenary – Best Practice and Learning

Seminar 1
e-Voting in Legally Binding Elections: Can it be Trusted?

Seminar 2
UNDESA: New Ways to Measure e-Participation on a Global Basis

Masterclass 1
Voice Toolkit

Coffee

Seminar 3
Challenges in the Developing World?

Seminar 4
Devolving Power: Making Democracy Work

Masterclass 2
Be a Blogger, Vlogger, Podcaster!

Lunch

Seminar 5
Social Inclusion in the 21st Century

Debate 1
Should we be Voting in our Pyjamas?

Masterclass 3
Voice Toolkit

Seminar 6
Current Technology, What´s Hot and What´s Not?

Debate 2
Hard to Reach Groups: Why Bother?

Masterclass 4
Be a Blogger, Vlogger, Podcaster!

Coffee

Seminar 7
Policing the Net: Authentication

Debate 3
Online Communities: Are They Just For Dating?

Masterclass 5
Access to Accessibility

Evening Dinner

DAY THREE
Morning Plenary – The Future

Seminar 7
e-Government Connections and Challenges

Seminar 8
>From e-Voting to e-Participation: Connecting
>Governments, Parliaments and Civil Society

Masterclass 5 TBA

Closing Plenary

*** Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://DoWire.Org ***