[artinfo] An international symposium for New Media Art at Moderna Museet

e-Flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Mon Apr 3 11:02:49 CEST 2006

VERGE

Welcome to VERGE: An international symposium for
New Media Art organised by The Fine Art and New
Media Collegium and funded by the Swedish
Research Council.

The Art and New Media Collegium has invited
several international artists, theoreticians and
researchers such as Maurice Benayoun, Diane
Gromala, Bruce Sterling, Masaki Fujihata,
Benjamin Weil and Jay Bolter.

The symposium will take place at Moderna Museet
in Stockholm on the 8th of April 2006
between11.00 and 20.00.
It is open for all and free of charge

Preliminary program
Friday April 7
Opening with Sabrina Raaf at Mejan Labs, Fredsgatan 12, Stockholm.
For more information please see:<
http://www.mejanlabs.se/> http://www.mejanlabs.se/

Saturday April 8
From 11 am to 8 pm at Moderna Museet, Stockholm.

We will start the day with a short presentation
of the Collegium for Fine Art and New Media.

This presentatioin will be helda by Peter
Hagdahl, Professor at the Royal University
College of Fine Art in Stockholm, Nils Enlund,
Professor at The Royal Institute for Technology
and Cecilia Sjöholm, Phd. Head of the Aesthetics
Program at Sodertorn University College.

Josephine Bosma, Critic. Will speak about “The
Missing Link - The hidden history of media within
art-systems”.

Maurice Benayoun, Transmedia artist.

Diane Gromala, Associate Professor in Literature,
Communication and Culture. Will speak about
“Mediation, pain and VR”.

Bruce Sterling, Writer, Wired Magazine.

Masaki Fujihata, Professor at the Tokyo National
University of Fine Arts and Music.

Benjamin Weil, New-media curator, will talk about
the complexities of new-media art in the museums
context.

Prof. Jay Bolter will also join us in a virtual
presentation before we round up with a
summarizing discussion entitled “Where do we go
from here?” together with all the speakers
moderated by Cecilia Sjöholm, PhD.

Fringe
We will also present a number of fringe
activities at the symposium. Among others,
”visual DJ” Panagiotis Michalatos and his
reactive sensors will participate.

We will show a documentary about Billy Klüver and
E.A.T. (Experiments in Art and Technology) in the
cinema at the Moderna Museet along with a sample
of the Scandinavian new-media art scene.

Dates:	7th and 8th of April 2006

Place:	Moderna Museet in Stockholm, Sweden

More information:	 http://www.kkh.se/newmedia/

Jonatan Habib Engqvist, Project coordinator
+46 – 70 77 55 014 / jonatan at kkh.se

Peter Hagdahl, Professor, Royal University College of Fine Art
Peter.hagdahl at kkh.se