[artinfo] S.M.A.K. is recruiting a Guest curator.

e-Flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Mon Sep 19 20:35:22 CEST 2005

S.M.A.K.
Citadelpark
9000 Ghent
Belgium

<http://www.smak.be>http://www.smak.be

S.M.A.K. is recruiting a Guest Curator

S.M.A.K. is the largest museum of contemporary
art in Belgium. It is well-known for its dynamic
exhibition programme and innovative approach. In
parallel with its exhibitions, S.M.A.K.
continuously shows a changing selection from its
extensive permanent collection.

We are adding two guest curators to our team to
work at our arts centre on a project basis for a
fixed term of three years. Both curators will be
recruited internationally. One curator will be
appointed every eighteen months so that the two
curators’ assignments overlap.
The first vacancy is now open.

Job Description
The guest curator’s core task is to develop and
implement an exhibition project as an
international co-production involving a minimum
of two museums abroad, at least one of which is
non-European. The initial exhibition must take
place in the S.M.A.K.. The project proposal
submitted by each candidate will be a factor in
the selection procedure.

In addition to this the guest curator will also
be involved in the museum’s other exhibition work
in order to ensure proper integration with the
museum staff. The guest curator will maintain
positive contacts with an extensive network in
the visual arts, in the broadest sense of the
term.

The requirements for candidacy are:

- the submission of a 3-year exhibition project
that will be realised at S.M.A.K., in
collaboration with at least two other museums
- a good knowledge of the domain of contemporary art
- at least 3 years’ experience in international
organisations or projects involving contemporary
art
- experience in the organisation of extensive exhibition projects
- excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills
- the willingness to settle in Belgium for the duration of the project

Applications will be accepted until Friday,
October 28th, 2005 and must include an exhibition
project and an extended curriculum vitae.

Please send your application to vzw S.M.A.K., Mr.
Sven Jacobs, Citadelpark, 9000 Ghent, Belgium.

More information about this vacancy can be found
on <http://www.smak.be>http://www.smak.be