[artinfo] re: Call for Submissions/CESTA's 11th Arts Festival of International, Interdisciplinary Collaborations

CESTA cesta at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Sep 13 22:50:49 CEST 2005

Please feel free to forward this to those who may be
interested.

Call for Submissions:

Sense of Fear
CESTA’s 11th Arts Festival of International, Interdisciplinary
Collaborations
August 2006

It is said that fear is the strongest emotion. Perhaps this is its
only universal characteristic, and it is a curious one. As
something which stimulates every living organism similarly fear
carries infinite responses, often strong opposites: arrogance and
timidity, empowerment and immobilization, desecration and
reverence. Such polarities lend themselves easily to exploitation
experienced with alarming regularity in the politicization of
otherwise existential, subjectively defined, and potentially
manageable fears.

For Sense of Fear, CESTA invites artists from all disciplines to
collaborate in creating works which explore, perceive and define
fear - the personal and collective - towards discovering where
fantasy meets phobia, when a chance to be challenged becomes
an opportunity to be oppressed, why selfhood and society are
strengthened or compromised.

CESTA's festival themes and parameters of cross-national
interdisciplinary collaborations represent the center's
commitment to improving communication through creative
expression. We base our selection of artists on a review of
applications resulting from our annual open call. Applicants
request CESTA to connect them with one or more collaboration
partners or apply as a pre-formed collaboration group*. For
Sense of Fear all final festival collaboration groups must be:

1) Cross-national: more than one nationality
2) Interdisciplinary: more than one artistic medium
3) Collaborative: conceptualizing and creating interdependent
artistic work

AND must contain work created exclusively for Sense of Fear.

*If you are applying as a group which already fits the above
parameters, you may qualify to apply as a pre-formed
collaboration group. Details for applying as a pre-formed
collaboration group are on the application form.

Festival Application Deadline: December 2, 2005
(postmarked)

On-site collaborations in progress:
August 1-24
Meet the Artists - presentations of participants’ past work:
August 13-20
Seminars, workshops and educational programs on the festival
theme:
August 13-20
Final presentations of the collaboration groups:
August 25-27
Daily reviews of the presentations:
August 26-28
Festival closing forum:
August 28

For an Application Form or more information, please visit our
website or contact us at:

--
CESTA
Novakova 387, Tabor 39001, Czech Republic
email: cesta at mbox.vol.cz
http://www.cesta.cz