[artinfo] I Beg Your Pardon: A two-day exhibition, by the Vera List Center for Art and Politics

e-Flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Fri Oct 14 22:39:02 CEST 2005

I Beg Your Pardon: A two-day exhibition,
presented by the Vera List Center for Art and
Politics at The New School

Saturday and Sunday October 15-16, 12-6pm, reception Saturday, 4-6pm
The New School, 66 West 12th Street, 4th floor, New York City

Vera List Center for Art and Politics
<http://www.nsu.newschool.edu/vlc/>http://www.nsu.newschool.edu/vlc/

In the current political environment saturated by
political aggression and segregation along
various kinds of power lines, processes of
reconciliation and forgiveness have been
strategically used as tactics for political and
social manipulations. For this two-day exhibition
at The New School, artists were asked to
contribute a statement, video, image or text to
address the Reestablishing of Cordial Relations
or Forgiveness in the context of their work and
political environment.

Organized by Andrea Geyer, the exhibition
features works by artists Ayreen Anastas/Rene
Gabri, Nancy Brody, Matthew Buckingham, Discoteca
Flaming Star (Cristina Gomez Barrio & Wolfgang
Mayer), Ulrike Feser, Benj Gerdes, Jennifer
Hayashida, Sharon Hayes, Maryam Jafri, Jesal
Kapadia, H. Lan Thao Lam/Lana Lin, Cristóbal
Lehyt, Tara Mateik, Ulrike Müller, Taisha
Paggett/Ashley Hunt, Katrin Pesch, Yvonne Rainer,
Emily Roydson, James Tsang, Valerie Tevere, The
Speculative Archive (Julia Meltzer/David Thorne),
and Urban Subjects (Sabine Bitter/Jeff
Derksen/Helmut Weber).

The Vera List Center for Art and Politics at The
New School is dedicated to serving as catalyst
for the discourse on the role of the arts in
society and their relationship to the
socio-political climate in which they are
created. It seeks to achieve this through the
organization of public programs and forums that
respond to the pressing social and political
issues of our time as they are being articulated
by visual and performing artists. The center
engages the university community, the people of
New York, and national and international
audiences in an exploration of new possibilities
for civic engagement. This exhibition is part of
our year-long investigation of "Considering
Forgiveness."

For further information, please call
212.229.2436, or contact kuonic at newschool.edu.