[artinfo] SurfaceMarks Online Public Art Project

m sheets ste_haruka at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 16:30:20 CEST 2005

Friends and Colleagues,
A second invite to visit and participate in my online public art project
“SurfaceMarks” located at
http://www.surfacemarks.com

2000 sets of tattoos have already been distributed; a new batch of 1000 will
be released on October 15th.

What is our relationship to the institutions around us? How do they
influence our day-to-day decisions? SurfaceMarks invites participants to
consider these questions and others while wearing temporary tattoos
depicting the Church, the State, and the Corporation.

Request a free package of tattoos from the website. After wearing them,
return to the site to express your thoughts, upload photos, invite others to
take part, or raise questions of your own.

The site will be active until May 2006, though tattoo supplies are limited.
Spread the word about the project and visit often as postings to the forum
change.

Enjoy the project. I look forward to seeing your contributions.

Monica Sheets

This project has been made possible by the generous support of FORECAST
Public Artworks, the Minnesota State Arts Board through a grant from the
National Endowment for the Arts, and Tattoo Manufacturing, Inc.

FORECAST Public Artworks is a 26 year-old nonprofit that seeks to strengthen
and advance the field of public art locally, regionally and nationally by
expanding participation, supporting artists, informing audiences, and
assisting communities.

The 2005 Public Art Affairs grant program is supported by the Jerome
Foundation in celebration of the Jerome Hill Centennial and in recognition
of the valuable cultural contributions of artists to society.

Monica Sheets is a Fiscal Year 2005 recipient of an Artist Initiative Grant
from the Minnesota State Arts Board. This activity is made possible in part
by a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, through an appropriation by
the Minnesota State Legislature and by a grant from the National Endowment
for the Arts.